Skip navigation.

Tomato problems

Last post 24-08-2016 4:46 PM by rynd2it. 2 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

• 24/08/2016 10:04 AM
    • rynd2it
    • Stalham
    • 16 Feb 2015
    Top 500 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

tomato.jpg Hi, I'm getting two problems with my tomato fruit this year. a) some fruit is splitting on the vine b) some has developed this weird 'flat spot' (see picture The variety is "Shirley", they are planted in a grow bag and watered frequently with the addition of tomato food every third or fourth watering. Any ideas? Thanks David

• 24/08/2016 03:29 PM
    • Nigel
    • Paignton
    • 27 May 2008
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

It looks like blossom end rot to me. It's caused by problems with calcium transport and is related to watering especially uneven water levels at the root. .

Grow bags seem particularly bad for this, they dry out very quickly and can be difficult to wet again. 

Quite a few people grow tomatoes in deeper containers than grow bags such as buckets. I use grow bags and stand a 10"pot with the bottom cut out  on the growbag compost and fill this with a mix of soil and multi purpose and then plant into this pot. This allows easier watering into the top of the pot and a bigger root run. If you half fill the pot and plant your tomato and then, when the tomato is about a foot above the pot, top the pot up with soil to about an inch below the rim the tomto will form extra roots from the stem. 

• 24/08/2016 04:46 PM
    • rynd2it
    • Stalham
    • 16 Feb 2015
    Top 500 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Thanks, I suspected those grow bags from the start - they are very shallow. Back to pots next year I think David