Skip navigation.

Pansies all the year round.

Last post 23-10-2015 4:21 PM by PaulB. 3 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

• 18/10/2015 12:11 PM
    • BML
    • 14 Feb 2010
    Top 150 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Nearly every time I visit a garden centre or supermarket I see large pansies for sale.  Is it possible to buy seed that will supply the gardener with pansies all year and if so where would find it.

By the way, is there any chance of getting an automatic reminder by Email when a post receives a comment or answer?

• 18/10/2015 05:38 PM
    • kaydee
    • Perthshire
    • 15 Feb 2009
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

You can buy 'winter flowering pansy' seeds which you sow in summer & plant out in autumn. Then you can buy summer flowering pansy seeds & sow in early spring. A lot depends on where you live as to how well they flower over winter. Mild sheltered spots are best. Not a good idea to replace old stock directly with new though. There is something called 'pansy sickness' that affects the soil so you need to find new sites or else grow in fresh compost. Any reputable seed company such as Suttons or Thompson & Morgan will offer nice varieties to choose from. Sore point about the e mail auto reminders. One member of the forum has notified the RHS team & they are looking into it - though it seems to be taking some time. Best.K

• 19/10/2015 07:39 AM
    • Backache
    • W. Kent
    • 31 Dec 2012
    Top 75 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I have had disappointments with winter flowering pansies for a number of years. I tried changing the soil but they continued to disappoint and seemed to lose their hardiness. Following advice I have now switched to winter flowering violas. There are some new large "faced" varieties often with stunning colour. Its early days but so far so good. Time will tell though.

• 23/10/2015 04:21 PM
    • PaulB
    • Stockport
    • 02 Jan 2014
    Top 500 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hi Kaydee, I have sent several reminders to Seth who was the person that originally responded to my request and acknowledged that there was indeed a problem. Since my original mail and his acknowledgement, I have heard nothing. I will keep trying but it might also help if we all got together and sent him emails to the same effect. As I said, his name is Seth and his email address is mygarden@rhs.org.uk Cheers Paul