Skip navigation.

Carrot fly

Last post 28-07-2015 11:19 PM by GROWMORE. 7 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

• 27/07/2015 09:35 AM
    • Paul
    • 16 Jun 2010
    Top 200 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I have grown Resistafly carrots but notice that I still have carrot fly eggs on the top of the carrots. Is there anything I can spray them with before they hatch and do their damage?

• 27/07/2015 11:30 PM
    • GROWMORE
    • London
    • 12 Aug 2012
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Unfortunately carrot fly - Psila rosae  also attacks parnips and other root crops.  There is no recognised chemical treatment.  If you can actually see the eggs, then it might be worthwhile removing them and crushing them.

The eggs can be laid and overwinter in the soil. The soil prior to sowing must be prepared well.  Avoid where possible succesive sowings/plantings od like crops in the same spot.

The flies are attracted to the scent given off by the sugary root.  Insome cases trials have taken place whereby, alternate rows of onions and carrots etc have been sown/planted.  The obvious theory being thet the scent of the onions blot out the sweetness of the carrots.

Sadly as with many garden pests/problems, it doesn't appear until it's too late.  Most gardeners in time experiment so it might pay to sprinkle boiled water close to the plants.  Pul the odd clump here and there and get an idea of how bad things are.  Even individual roots that have been attacked, washing and scraping can still make the crop edible.

Precautions.  At a very early stage in growth, it might be wise to protect the crop.  Use horticultural fleece, the same as used for winter protection.  Very fine netting, more like a gauze or even polythene. The idea is to make a mini poly tunnel.  It must be at least 24" high and wider than the width of the rows.  Make sure the sides and ends are well inserted into the soil.

Biological action can be used eg: nematodes, but one has to weigh up the cost.

A firm Hallmark Zeon appear to be working in this area, so it might be worth taking a look at their website.

I hope this helps.

Mike. 

Growmore.
  • 28/07/2015 07:05 AM
    • Nigel
    • Paignton
    • 27 May 2008
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Just a note to Growmore's reply.

Hallmark Zeon is an insecticidal suspemnsion from Syngenta for commercial use only.

• 28/07/2015 10:45 AM
    • Paul
    • 16 Jun 2010
    Top 200 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Thanks Nigel, your views are as I thought but I thought something may have developed

• 28/07/2015 02:17 PM
    • kaydee
    • Perthshire
    • 15 Feb 2009
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

You can also grow onions in rows between the carrots. The scent of allium is said to confuse the carrot flies. I tried it & certainly the problem was much less. K

• 28/07/2015 02:18 PM
    • kaydee
    • Perthshire
    • 15 Feb 2009
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Sorry Growmore - I missed your comment noting the same idea.K

• 28/07/2015 02:19 PM
    • kaydee
    • Perthshire
    • 15 Feb 2009
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

My apologies Growmore. I missed your comment noting the same idea. K

• 28/07/2015 11:19 PM
    • GROWMORE
    • London
    • 12 Aug 2012
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Nigel. Thank you for the correction. Much apreciated.

KD.  No problems 

Growmore.