Skip navigation.

Diploma or RHS Certificate

Last post 21-08-2015 10:34 PM by GROWMORE. 2 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

• 05/03/2015 03:22 PM
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

Hi, I am new to this forum. I'd like to study horticulture, but don't know which course to do. Within about 30 miles of where I live there is college that runs a Diploma in Horticulture level 2 and also there are a few places (nearer) that offer the RHS courses. Can anyone tell me the difference in course structure/outcome? I am looking for a course that is practical, interesting and could hopefully lead to a career change. I am in my mid-forties. I have another question, I am interested in growing salads and veg (organic), would this be covered in the courses too? Thanks, Karen

• 05/03/2015 10:04 PM
    • Blackstart
    • Warwickshire
    • 06 Dec 2010
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

https://www.rhs.org.uk/education-learning/qualifications-and-training/rhs-qualifications Hi Karen take a look at the link if you haven't already; use the banner near top of the page to find out more about each qualifications. There are both practical and theory based qualifications. In my experience potential employers are much more likely to look for practical ability when recruiting staff. However, knowledge is also a great asset. There is also a forum dedicated to education , click the following link. http://mygarden.rhs.org.uk/forums/226.aspx Blackstart

• 21/08/2015 10:34 PM
    • GROWMORE
    • London
    • 12 Aug 2012
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

My extended apologies for the ever-so-late reply.  For whatever my input rate.  I have been in the position to take on staff for general gardening/horticultural duties.

Although I can't say that my mind was ever made up for me, by my peers.  I must confess that when interviewing a candidate. Yes.  I was looking for experience, or at least an indicator that this person was eager to get started and get his/her hands dirty.  I always looked for sincerity of wanting to learn more and to become part and parcel of the team.

Regarding the more educated.  To be truthful.  I always sensed an air of defiance.   How do I interpret that. Well being the intervewier, I felt that I was the applicant.  The person before me was certificated a GOD.

This migh go down well in recuiting for science labs.  General all round gardening .  NO.

To be perfectly honest.  In the academic world.  So many certificates are about as valuable as a sheet of Andrex.

For instance.  Whilst in the employment of the GLC.  I had a man, who came from Wisbeach.  He was a tractor driver, barely able to write his name.  Believe me.  OK. He and I and our wives became great friends.  Nevertheless, this man knew and had far more practicle experience than all the certificated applicants put together.

I rest my case. 

Growmore.