Skip navigation.

Disappearing Figs!

Last post 12-02-2015 11:51 PM by GROWMORE. 2 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

• 12/02/2015 05:59 PM
    • 18coombe
    • Purley
    • 03 Sep 2009
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

Last year all my unripe figs, which needed at least two/three months to ripen disappeared.

This is first time in many years so probably not squirrels and they've been a permanent fixture.

No trace of fallen fruit.

Could it be parakeets whose numbers have rapidly increased here in Purley?

I was thinking of using fleece to keep them out of sight as ordinary fruit net wouldn't last two minutes from my experience of keeping cockatiels, which are far smaller.

Any ideas please.

• 12/02/2015 06:44 PM
    • Backache
    • W. Kent
    • 31 Dec 2012
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I have had exactly the same experience in West Kent. Some years I do not seem have a problem but, especially after a cold spell like we have had recently, one of Mother Nature's little treasures hides mine in a " safe place" completey out of my view

• 12/02/2015 11:51 PM
    • GROWMORE
    • London
    • 12 Aug 2012
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Very interesting. Usually squirrels will take a bite out of things and often drop the remains.

Mind you.  Rats have been on tghe increase for some time now, and these creatures will take away and store.

It is a nystery, that no dropped fruit remains.  Perhaps the parakeets are to blame.

I wrote a bit some while back for my local freebie paper.  It was about the ringnecked parakeets and the greys.  I live in Eltham, close to Eltham Palace.  We have flocks of greens and greys.  Sevenoaks isn't all that far away and niether is Purley.

I remeber writing that, when these birds vacate the town, they usually flock to the fruit fields of Kent, where they can do so much damage eating and harming the fruit buds, then as the buds break, the birds tend to return home again.

However so much for theory.  Probably the other members of the foraging fraternity, clean up and remove the waste deposits of the parotts thus removing the evidence.

Sad you have lost your figs, perhaps some nylon netting might be effective. 

Growmore.