Skip navigation.

What worked well ....

Last post 08-10-2014 8:16 AM by Nell. 3 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

• 25/09/2014 09:15 AM
    • Nell
    • Mid Wales
    • 19 Mar 2013
    Top 100 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

As we are getting towards the end of the growing season I thought it might be an idea to share what worked well this year and what didn't with other members of the forum.

For my part what worked well were onions from sets (Sturon), cougette (Green Bush), Calabrese (Iron Man), autumn fruiting raspberries. And potatoes (Arran Pilot and Nicola). 

What didn't:  Beetroot (boltardy), Carrots (Paris Market and resistafly). I also tried some asparagus peas, which grew well but were a disappointment as there was so little flavour.

I look forward to hearing input from others and also suggestions for next year!!! 

• 25/09/2014 08:02 PM
    • kaydee
    • Perthshire
    • 15 Feb 2009
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

The big success for me was a trial of growing tomatoes as a dual vine. I let the 1st lowest side shoot develop so that the two stems grow up together. Each stem produces the usual number of trusses of normal sized fruits. They did need extra support because of the weight but the crop was huge. I first heard of this system in 'Garden News' some years ago & I just hope I can remember to do it again next year. Mayan Gold tatties have been consistently good. Best soft fruit harvest for several years. My Boltardy beets failed too & the yellow & green courgettes were pathetic.

• 25/09/2014 10:30 PM
    • GROWMORE
    • London
    • 12 Aug 2012
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I no longer grow veg.  I wonder if part of the problem has been, dry ,'tap roots'  I mention this because as quoted.  Beetroot and carrots for instance.  Tap root plants. My garden even though being generally well watered, by rain and hose.  Planting some containerised stock,I found that below just a few inches, the soil was bone dry.  Just a thought.

Growmore.
  • 08/10/2014 08:16 AM
    • Nell
    • Mid Wales
    • 19 Mar 2013
    Top 100 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Yes, I think you are right on the watering .... will try harder next year, or perhaps it will rain more in the spring and less in the winter!