Skip navigation.

Changes

Last post 13-11-2013 12:45 PM by willco. 21 replies.

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >

• 06/10/2013 01:33 PM
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Well, after being absent from the forums for a long while, I decided to have a good old nose around and see what is what. Oh dear, what a disappointment, the forums seem to have gone right off their intentions. All the old posters, The Hedge Folk, Silver Surfer etc etc have vanished and now they seem to be full of inane waffle. I learnt so much from 'friends' I made on here, I loved logging on every day for a chat and to brush up on my gardening knowledge, so sad to see how it has all changed Sad

• 07/10/2013 01:38 PM
    • Julie
    • London
    • 28 Apr 2009
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Yes, I'd been away for a while as well and there does seem to be a shortage of genuine horticultural exchange.

• 07/10/2013 02:11 PM
    • Valerian
    • South Essex
    • 20 Jun 2010
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Welcome back Julie, How is your garden doing? Lots of people that I know have had a glut of tomatoes and this year my plum trees were laden down. I love it when things I have planted end up on my dinner plate.

• 07/10/2013 05:23 PM
    • Snark
    • Suffolk
    • 12 Jan 2011
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Silver Surfer has moved house. She still pops in with her fantastic plant i.d skills occasionally. I haven't seen anything of the Hedge folk and many other regulars since the RHS threatened us with shut down in April. A lot of people flitted to other sites then and only a handful of the old regulars have hung on here.

For the Snark was a boojum you see
  • 07/10/2013 06:40 PM
    • Backache
    • W. Kent
    • 31 Dec 2012
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

What ever happened to that excellent youngster, and prolific contributor to this once brilliant forum, "Digger"?

• 07/10/2013 09:34 PM
    • sue1002
    • Ipswich, Suffolk
    • 06 Sep 2005
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Digger was a bit before your time Backache.  He said his goodbyes when he left to move across 'the pond' back in April 2012 and as far as I know, no-one has heard from him since.

sue1002
  • 08/10/2013 03:27 AM
    • poppikin
    • Glorious Surrey
    • 06 Apr 2009
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Does anyone know what happened to Boggy? I used to love his posts and he used to make me laugh. poppikin

• 08/10/2013 08:25 AM
    • sue1002
    • Ipswich, Suffolk
    • 06 Sep 2005
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Boggy's last post was in February 2011, poppikin.  I loved reading his posts too and miss his humour.

sue1002
  • 08/10/2013 11:17 AM
    • Phot's-Moll
    • The sunny South coast.
    • 06 Jan 2007
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Things have certainly changed a lot. I think the news the forum was to close caused a lot of those changes. Some regular posters gave up and went elsewhere, new people were discouraged from joining, or treating this as a serious horticultural resource if they did sign up.

http://patsysplot.blogspot.co.uk/
  • 09/10/2013 09:49 AM
    • Julie
    • London
    • 28 Apr 2009
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Valerian, thanks for your interest. Garden has been up and down. Some things worked, some didn't. I recently misplaced my secateurs so seriously suffereing right now without those. I must just go and buy a cheap pair. Hopefully the others (Felco) will turn up. Last year I had no tomatoes (like Monty Don, I had blight) but reasonable amout of cherry tomatoes this year. I'm picking up loads of cooking apples every day - too many! Sounds like your produce has been succesful, well done.

• 09/10/2013 02:52 PM
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Continuing with my observations re changes to the forums. I have just seen a post about police motor bikes. Could someone please enlighten me as to the relevance of this with regards to gardening forums. I am rather bemused

• 09/10/2013 04:13 PM
    • Faraway
    • Berkshire
    • 15 Oct 2007
    Top 75 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

In my opinion, unless we keep this to serious (real) gardening and horticulture topics, other than in idle chat, then we are not doing our hopes of keeping OUR forum going in the new website, much good......

• 09/10/2013 06:30 PM
    • Backache
    • W. Kent
    • 31 Dec 2012
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Yes Faraway, I am in total agreement with you.

• 10/10/2013 05:10 PM
    • kaydee
    • Perthshire
    • 15 Feb 2009
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Yes, me too. Some of the other forums are perhaps a tad 'Lite' which seems to be what the participants want. I like the real nitty gritty interesting gardening topics of this forum that I can relate to.

• 11/10/2013 06:52 AM
    • poppy1
    • france
    • 04 Sep 2013
    Top 100 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Yes kaydee,

Im 100% sure the powers tobe have just left this forum to run away with itself  and then it'll be a case of "hang yourself's or to put it into a gardening term

Dig a big hole and keep digging it,

This is indeed a gardening forum "But" its not a crime to be friendly with each other "try telling that to one or two memebers of this forum"

Who'd ever want to ask a question or seek or give advice knowing there's a chance one or two people are going to come out with a snotty reply  or two??

I myself dont wake up in the morning and think who can i upset today??????

We all know forums are a great place for saying something you'd never say face to face, no eye contact etc.

This complete forum wants and needs a re-vamp, we'ev got threads that are never used such as the one ref watering your garden, its sat dead from august,

& one or two more threads are not active and indeed should never have been a thread in the first place, how far can you go with the likes of "there's a hole in my bucket"

To have a thread should be to have a title that can be added to in all directions not a single item and then dead, it's not rocket science to know that the likes of some of these  thread's will not be going any further and will just sit there doing nothing for ever more & makes the keen gardener look for his/her interest eles where. 

But the biggest non helpful thread ie this one!

Ive asked how can we ourselves welcome all these daily new members we're told are now here into our gardening lives, how can we say hello from us???

No reply from anyone. And as i say "un-friendly /off putting & makes me think twice about ever asking or offering advice ever again,

Ask yourself this question, When things in your life have gone wrong and you've found out and you've said "Why didn't anyone ask me "

Well that very situtaion is here right now, but when someone offer's to help & it falls on deaf ears, the chances are they wont offer again. "SILENCE"

Ive a fridge warmer than this forum, 

you reap what you sow!! and going from the few members per night /week who actualy use this very forum "Well" im sure you would'nt have to take your socks off to count how many are regular users and its this sort of reading the powers to be will be using as a weapon when it comes to cutting cost and closing down this forum,

If anyone is interested in keeping this forum going i wouldnt be wondering who went months ago but whos here now and what to do about it.

What im saying is from the set up of the titles of the forum through to the questions being answered is very very poor.

If everyone had a little think!!! is what ive said true or a load of old rubbish ????

And if any of what ive said rings true ???? And you want to keep this forum going then Do something about changing a few things.Hmm