Skip navigation.

plan ahead ref marking your pruning work.

Last post 19-11-2014 3:59 PM by Minnie77uk. 2 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

• 05/10/2013 09:12 PM
    • poppy1
    • france
    • 04 Sep 2013
    Top 100 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hi all,

Well ive spent some time today taking a look at all the fruit trees in the orchard,

I tend to mark the tree that im going to prune and then take a drawing in my note book of the actual wood ive to remove later in the year (january time)

I find by doing this now while the tree has leaves on it,

the wood i want to remove stands out more,

But when the tree is nude " the higher up branches dont stand out as much" so i take a drawing and it saves time.

I also start my grease bands now (late seprember/early october) I make my own using grease proof kitchen paper and axle grease (as used for cars etc) ive done this method for many years and as i like the bands tobe wider than the ready made ones this way of doing things suits me better, they're simple to make and are secured by string or even garden plant tie raffitia.

Ive some dewarf fruit trees and these get sprayed and have the grease bands on them.

This is also a good time of the year to check stakes and ties around your tree's before the winds arrive.

The little note book i tend to carry ref jobs to be done in the winter is getting full, so plenty to be getting on with. Big Smile

• 18/11/2014 06:33 PM
    • Nell
    • Mid Wales
    • 19 Mar 2013
    Top 100 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I admire your forethought ... did it work well for you? How did the pruning go? I have, of course, missed the opportunity to do this. I have some very old apple trees that I want try and preserve by grafting some shoots onto new root stocks; I noticed some good shoots when I was picking apples earlier this year, but, of course, I didn't mark them; I wonder if I will be able to find them when I go to collect them in a week or so!!! Cheers

• 19/11/2014 03:59 PM
    • Minnie77uk
    • Chesterfield
    • 18 May 2012
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

What a brilliant idea, poppy1! I wonder if the professional fruitgrowers have considered this?