Skip navigation.

Did you know your shrubs and coffee

Last post 03-10-2013 11:09 PM by GROWMORE. 2 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

• 03/10/2013 08:00 AM
    • poppy1
    • france
    • 04 Sep 2013
    Top 100 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Did you know  coffee frome the pot is a good tonic (pick me up) for a lot of plants /shrubs etc;

So dont waste the coffee dregs or the used coffee filtered powder, just pour it over the ground near to the plants etc and have a use for it.

• 03/10/2013 08:25 AM
    • Nigel
    • Paignton
    • 27 May 2008
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Moderation in all things, too much is not good as the grounds are rather acidic. I compost mine. Apparently you can grow Oyster mushrooms on the grounds.

Nigel

• 03/10/2013 11:09 PM
    • GROWMORE
    • London
    • 12 Aug 2012
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Very good point Nigel.

I think it fair to say.  Us gardeners sometimes do get a wee bit over excited..  We often take short cuts.  Sometimes these work out, other times, we the expert.  loses out.  For instance just recently. I noticed a couple of the house plants.  Oh! how I dislike that title.  To me.  Plants belong in the garden or greenhouse enviroment.  My dear [late] wife had been given some thirty years ago, a cutting of Maranta.  [Prayer plant]  We als had a more recent aquisition  a Spathyllium [Peace Lily]  Watering had gradually washed away the compost, especially close to the crown of the plants.  So both subjects ended up, on the potting bench. To hand was an amount of a general purpose compost.  Also a bag of processed farmyard manure.  Both plants were given a generouse top dressing of a mixture of the compost and the manure.  The Maranta has really taken off.  In fact, the best I have ever seen it.  However, the Spathyllium.  Well almost within minutes. Leaves and flowering stems showed their rejection.  Now after a couple of weeks and the removal of the sufferring growth of the peace lily.  Both subjects are looking well.  This really is what gardening is all about.  In our own way.  Each of us are.  An artist, and also we become scientist.

Nigel.  For those who have compost heaps.  it is a good idea to deposit dregs etc thereon.

Growmore.