Skip navigation.

RHS re-structuring

Last post 23-09-2013 9:03 PM by Faraway. 5 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

• 23/09/2013 09:11 AM
    • Faraway
    • Berkshire
    • 15 Oct 2007
    Top 75 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

RHS shakes up leadership team

By Matthew Appleby Wednesday, 18 September 2013 (from Horticulture Week)

The RHS is amalgamating its garden, shows and retail departments into a single division from 1 January 2014, with Stephen Bennett and James Rudoni's roles made redundant. Bob Sweet meanwhile is retiring.

A new head of gardens, shows and retail and a new head of horticulture are to be appointed.

RHS director general Sue Biggs said: "These changes will put us in a great position to deliver one of the most exciting phases of growth in the charity's history. The newly structured Leadership Team will have a clear focus on delivering our incredible projects and driving efficiencies, whilst making sure our members and visitors get a warm RHS welcome and even more inspirational horticulture and experiences across all our visitor destinations and activities.

"This will also enable us to inspire more people to garden and get involved with horticulture, and to continue our commitment to drive the all-important Horticulture Matters campaign forward, raising the profile of horticultural careers."

The new role, RHS director of gardens, shows and retail will have responsibility for horticulture and visitor experiences.

RHS head of retail, Will Havercroft, will report into the RHS director of gardens, shows & retail. He will continue to manage RHS retail and the investment project at RHS Garden Wisley, and will remain on the leadership team reporting into RHS director general, Sue Biggs, until the new director's position is filled.

The creation of the new division means there will no longer be a separate RHS director of shows and RHS director of gardens and both roles have been made redundant, although RHS director of gardens James Rudoni and director of shows Stephen Bennett will continue in post until the end of the year.

Director of horticulture Jim Gardiner will take the full-time ambassadorial role as executive vice president, the first in the history of the RHS.

The RHS is now looking for a director of horticulture.

Former RHS PR head Hayley Monckton is now RHS head of communications and will be a member of the RHS leadership team.

• 23/09/2013 09:55 AM
    • kaydee
    • Perthshire
    • 15 Feb 2009
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Thank you Faraway. Sounds like there is a big new garden broom sweeping through the RHS. Best K

• 23/09/2013 04:23 PM
    • poppy1
    • france
    • 04 Sep 2013
    Top 100 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Yes It sounds good to me,

Keep going and we'll all feel good,

Yes 

• 23/09/2013 08:56 PM
    • GROWMORE
    • London
    • 12 Aug 2012
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Thank you so much Faraway.  I imagine that you keep upto date with meetings etc.

Over the years I have seen many changes within the society.  I agree that in today's competative world, the RHS needs to keep up.

It would be somewhat refreshing to see ordinary members taking part, rather than the named, 'varieties'

It will be exciting to see perhaps other changes that might issue forth.

Growmore.
  • 23/09/2013 09:01 PM
    • AlexS
    • Reading
    • 06 Sep 2009
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Yes, thanks Faraway for posting this.

Alex
  • 23/09/2013 09:03 PM
    • Faraway
    • Berkshire
    • 15 Oct 2007
    Top 75 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Growmore, no, I have no connection whatsoever with the RHS, other than being a normal member and on these forums. I found the article above on the Horticulture Week website.