Skip navigation.

Help - Not getting emails of new posts to forum

Last post 01-10-2013 4:51 PM by Minnie77uk. 17 replies.

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next >

• 22/09/2013 08:29 PM
    • Minnie77uk
    • Chesterfield
    • 18 May 2012
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I hope someone can help me.  A few weeks ago, I accidentally clicked on the 'mark all posts as read' on the forums page and since then have not been getting reminder emails about new or updated posts.

Can anyone with the tech know-how please advise me what I'm doing wrong?

I also had to reset my internet properties so wonder if I've reset something there which is now blocking emails.  I am using IE8.

Many thanks

M

• 22/09/2013 10:47 PM
    • kaydee
    • Perthshire
    • 15 Feb 2009
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I don't get reminders any more either - just since the new forum started up. I've got the 'Enable notification" box clicked too. Best K

• 22/09/2013 11:06 PM
    • GROWMORE
    • London
    • 12 Aug 2012
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

My computer is playing up.  Very slow, hence what appears to be bad spelling.  Some time back.  I also had problems, not being able to receive emails.  I did download some info.  I'll seach it out and PM you.  Otherwise you can do a system restore, to a date prior to the start of the problem.  Also you can Google it.  Simply type in the search area.  Unable to receive emails.

Hope this helps.

Growmore.
  • 23/09/2013 10:45 PM
    • Minnie77uk
    • Chesterfield
    • 18 May 2012
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Growmore

It appears to only relate to this site as my yahoo emails etc are fine.

Maybe I should just be grateful not to be bombarded with so many emails!

M

• 24/09/2013 01:36 AM
    • GROWMORE
    • London
    • 12 Aug 2012
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hi Minnie.

I have searched high and low for that info.  Sorry, no can find.  Having just read your latest post.  You apply the problem to this forum site.  Have you tried contacting the webmaster or team.  I have found them very helpful in the past.

Best wishes.

Growmore.
  • 24/09/2013 04:29 PM
    • Starapple
    • London
    • 25 Aug 2013
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

At the very top of the thread is a link "Email Subscription Disabled" click on it to show Email Subscription Enabled. I hope that helps.

• 24/09/2013 04:42 PM
    • Starapple
    • London
    • 25 Aug 2013
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

Just skipping from one thread to another I noticed that you may have to click on the link for each thread or forum group topic. I find this forum very old school. Its clunky and not user friendly. There are so many better free forums out there which could be used, which are easy to attach to websites.

• 24/09/2013 05:21 PM
    • kaydee
    • Perthshire
    • 15 Feb 2009
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Thank you for that Starapple. Notification certainly used to be automatic. I thought the change came when we all got new passwords a few weeks ago - or at least I think we all got sent new passwords?!.

• 24/09/2013 06:20 PM
    • sue1002
    • Ipswich, Suffolk
    • 06 Sep 2005
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

New passwords? that's a new one on me as I'm using the one I've always used and haven't been issued with a new one.

I know in the past that when notifications have stopped coming via email, it's usually been something to do when the site updates.  When I click on my own username and look to see what posts I've made, it's showing my last post as 13th August so I'm guessing that that would be the date when whatever it was happened, that notifications stopped and would explain why I've never been notified of any pms coming through.  I turned off the notifications of posts that I take part in as I was getting far too many emailsWink

sue1002
  • 24/09/2013 06:42 PM
    • kaydee
    • Perthshire
    • 15 Feb 2009
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

It was 20th August or a couple of days before that - over a weekend. I still have the e mail from the 'online' team' with my new password. When I couldn't log on direct to the forum as usual I looked on the RHS homepage & found a notice about an update & new passwords being issued. I took that to be the reorganisation of the forum. Ah well....

• 24/09/2013 09:35 PM
    • sue1002
    • Ipswich, Suffolk
    • 06 Sep 2005
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

It sounds like the email you would have been sent was because you had problems logging in kaydee, and the password was reset for you. 

If the forum had been restructured, it would look completely different to this one.  We've had this particular forum since April 2008 (I went back and checked on some old threads to find it).  The one before this one was blue and set out very much differently.

sue1002
  • 24/09/2013 11:35 PM
    • kaydee
    • Perthshire
    • 15 Feb 2009
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Thanks Sue, but I think is was not just my logging on problem. Below is the message that was on the Home page. Sorry if it all runs together. My system doesn't do paragraphs. - Help My Garden is a new area of our website that integrates our blogs, galleries and forums. We have imported all the members and forum posts from our original Bulletin Board into the new site and have to supply a new password to all members. It will take us a couple of days to email all our forum members so if you haven’t received an email from us with your new password please email mygarden@rhs.org.uk and we will send you your sign in details. 

If you experience any problems with the site please email mygarden@rhs.org.uk
 Images The best way to add pictures to posts is by using an online photo gallery like flickr (http://www.flickr.com) or photobucket (http://photobucket.com) to upload your pictures and then copy them to your posts on the MyGarden forums.

• 25/09/2013 08:02 AM
    • Faraway
    • Berkshire
    • 15 Oct 2007
    Top 75 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I too have not heard anything about new passwords.  If the above is legitimate, then the following sentence is great news -

"We have imported all the members and forum posts from our original Bulletin Board into the new site "

• 25/09/2013 08:18 AM
    • sue1002
    • Ipswich, Suffolk
    • 06 Sep 2005
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Thanks kaydee for posting a copy into your post, and now the mystery is solvedBig Smile   It's just confirmed that the message you read, is regarding when the old forum (which used to be called the Bulletin Board) transferred over to this one in 2008.  

sue1002
  • 25/09/2013 09:27 AM
    • Faraway
    • Berkshire
    • 15 Oct 2007
    Top 75 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

What a shame - I just got excited!