Skip navigation.

Getting moles to move home

Last post 29-07-2013 12:54 PM by jille. 3 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

• 29/07/2013 09:42 AM
    • jille
    • NW, UK
    • 29 Jul 2013
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

I have a mole in the garden, my friend tells me that if I put a radio on and put it in a plastic bag near the run and leave it over night the mole will go and live somewhere else. Has anyone tried this, does it work? I need to know before I buy a pocket radio

thanks

Jill
  • 29/07/2013 11:49 AM
    • kaydee
    • Perthshire
    • 15 Feb 2009
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

The only thing I ever got to work were the buzzer spikes that you put in the ground near the mole activity. You get them at garden centres & they do run quite a good while on the batteries. You need to move them around every few days or else the little dears will just go & dig in another part of your garden. They do buzz 24/7 which might be an issue for you. Good Luck!!

• 29/07/2013 12:48 PM
    • Twanger
    • 25 Mar 2013
    Top 500 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I suspect it would work for a short time - until you remove the radio, or the batteries give out, or they get used to the noise and learn to ignore it. And then they may well come back. Moles must rank amongst the cutest destructive little beasties. Give 'em a nice moist soil rich in organic matter and hence worms, and they move in and wreck it! Grrrr! I tried various methods to persuade our black furry coated friend to move his activities elsewhere over the years, and eventually lined all perennial beds with a sort of trough made of chicken wire below ground level. It was laborious and time consuming, but it worked.

• 29/07/2013 12:54 PM
    • jille
    • NW, UK
    • 29 Jul 2013
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

thank you for the replies, I hadn't heard of the spikes. I don't know how it has got into the garden as we are on a bank and I have a wall between my garden and the field above, it's a steep drop.

Jill