Skip navigation.

Cheap watering bottle mainly for indoors

Last post 28-04-2013 10:14 AM by Soilmonkey79. 3 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

• 27/04/2013 01:24 PM
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

Hi everyone Some years ago, whilst trawling the internet, I came across a novel idea for watering my plants indoors and also my veg seedlings. You just use a water bottle (any standard type drinking water bottle litre or half litre size). Using a fine drill, drill about 8 holes in the cap, being careful. I put them in my husbands bench vice whilst I am drilling, given how fiddly the caps are. It works, its cheap, and you keep the cap and re-use on next bottle. What I particularly like is the fact that the water bottle tends not to be as heavy as a watering can (which is helpful for my arthritis) and also not as expensive as spray water bottles can be.

• 27/04/2013 04:19 PM
    Top 100 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Nice idea - and even cheaper than buying the 'special' screw on lids with the tiny spray head.

Are we distantly related? Do you know the Bêche-Singe family in Brittany?

• 27/04/2013 05:50 PM
    • Valerian
    • South Essex
    • 20 Jun 2010
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I do the same thing and whenever I put plants in the garden I put a water bottle with holes pierced in the bottom so that when I water them the moisture is where it is needed, and doesn't evaporate. I found that snails liked to hid in them so now I cover the top with fabric. the water goes in but slugs and snails don't. Also I use small bottles for small plants and larger ones for shrubs.

Happy gardening.

• 28/04/2013 10:14 AM
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

Hi no sorry don't think we are related, my hubby often says I am unique!!!! not sure if its a compliment or not lol. The only thing I find is that the plastic bottles after a few weeks become supple and bendy so I just swap the screw cap and off we go again.