Skip navigation.

Response from the RHS regarding closure of this forum

Last post 23-02-2013 12:29 PM by AlexS. 6 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

• 22/02/2013 05:13 PM
    • Faraway
    • Berkshire
    • 15 Oct 2007
    Top 75 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

As mentioned, I sent an e-mail to the RHS.  I have, just a few minutes ago, received a reply and thank them for their feedback.  I have not yet replied, and would like to see any comments you may wish to make before I formulate a reply.

Thanks

Dear  – your email has been passed to me as the Director responsible for our online activity.

I’ve been following the forum posts and I understand that this is a big change. Whilst I can see where your concerns are coming from, what I’d hope is that you give the new site a chance.

As mentioned in the original post, there will be the opportunity to have conversations on the new website by commenting on articles or blogs. Obviously I realise that this is not the same as posting a question on a forum, but it is a common feature of many websites now and I think a good way of communicating on a specific topic with other users.

At the moment we are concentrating all our efforts on preparing the new site for launch, but when it goes live it will not necessarily be the ‘final’ version. We want to see how people are using it and we will listen to people’s comments. You and other contributors on the MyGarden forum have been clear about your feelings already, and as a result the web team and I have been discussing the possibility of creating a general forum in the new site - but, as I say, we would like to see how the new site is being used first.

Again as mentioned in previous posts, we have an active Facebook page where you can post questions. We realise this is not for everyone, but again, if you are a Facebook user, please have a look at our page, you might be surprised about what is happening on it. A number of RHS staff are quite active on this page.

Regards

Dan

Dan Wolfe
    Director of Members, Art & Media

• 22/02/2013 05:21 PM
    • sue1002
    • Ipswich, Suffolk
    • 06 Sep 2005
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Looks like a positive reply if there are discussions in placeSmile

sue1002
  • 22/02/2013 05:41 PM
    • Obelix
    • Belgium
    • 24 Nov 2004
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

It seems very reasonable to me, both in asking people to try the new site and in showing willing to consider a general forum as a possibility.   I have deep misgivings about Facebook so can't see me using that feature and I'm sure I'm not alone in that view so let's hope they will be flexible about giving members and users other means to comment and pose questions.

Obelix - Belgium
  • 22/02/2013 05:55 PM
    • RogerB
    • Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire
    • 14 Jan 2009
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Faraway, firstly may I say a BIG thank you to you for picking up the baton and running with it. As far as the response from Dan Wolfe goes, it appears positive on the face of it but raises a couple of questions for me. How long do they want to see how the new site is being used before considering whether there is a need to change/amend/add to (including a general forum)? Which, by the way I like the idea of. I am very new to Facebook (FB) and am still finding out how it works so am a little nervous about diving in on a big site like this to ask a question. Is this a separate section from just commenting on what has been posted centrally? Can any user on FB respond or would it only be possible for RHS staff to respond?

Give it a go - it might just work!
  • 22/02/2013 06:17 PM
    • Scotkat
    • Angus Scotland
    • 01 Feb 2010
    Top 500 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Spade Monkey here is my link for my garden forum which you asked me to post here. forums.trowelslg.com

forums.trowelslg
  • 22/02/2013 10:02 PM
    • Valerian
    • South Essex
    • 20 Jun 2010
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Thank you Faraway for all your efforts on our behalf. I am very grateful as I am sure are all the other users of the forums. I have been trying to use the othe websites and am having difficulty getting in touch with the friends that I have made on the RHS Forums. The contributors to these other forums have been very welcoming but I find the tone of some posts and the language used rather offensive. I've searched FB and found several RHS friends there but have yet to find how to contact people on the RHS page. I would really appreciate a general forum on the new site where I can easily chat and exchanged ideas with like minded people. I share Rogers concerns about FB and wonder how long we would be left muddling our way around the site before a general forum were to be set up. Surely it would be simplest to start with a place where we can chat and exchange our thoughts about the various blogs etc..

• 23/02/2013 12:29 PM
    • AlexS
    • Reading
    • 06 Sep 2009
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

My thanks also to Faraway for leading for us on this. Great stuff too from Obelix and Spade Monkey. I do value such thoughtful and thought-provoking contributions.

Alex