Skip navigation.

Advice on new garden

Last post 02-10-2012 8:41 PM by Snark. 4 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

• 07/09/2012 09:45 AM
    • Kai
    • 07 Sep 2012
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

We've just moved and the garden has been severely neglected. We are in the process of clearing the weeds on the borders and lawn at the moment. I'm a novice gardener and would like some advice on what to do.

It's an east facing garden, not sure of soil type yet but there were some daisies if that helps! I'd like to grow some low maintenance plants, predominantly hardy evergreens if possible. It's roughly 12ft wide by 16ft long with a concrete path down the middle of some very parched and weedy lawn.. There is a shed at the back and weedy borders around the entire edge.

Here is what I thought I could do: Refresh the lawn with some new lawn seed.

Grow some rhodedendrons, bergenias and geraniums in the borders for some colour and interest.

Also grow some poppies for height and because they are self seeding which should save some effort in future

Install a trellis at the back and grow some honeysuckle to try and cover some of the brick wall by the shed (from the side of a house that overlooks us).

Would this work and when do I need to get started on the different elements?

Thanks

• 07/09/2012 03:09 PM
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

I am similar to you and a novice too, before you go ahead and just start digging up your garden at will... to begin your transformation i'd personally draw up a sketch of the various views of your garden, like a panoramic camera shot... doesnt have to be detailed just enough so you know whats going where... to get a feel for it.

With your flowers, use felt tips to dot accordingly to get a colour span cos there'll be an of outstanding colour which wont suit...

when you're happy with your design and plan... then proceed to start hacking away at unwanted land pieces...

12ft by 16ft is a large area, without getting into too much detail. theres a lot you could do to that space in terms of landscaping... which may be an option...

if you're doing it yourself though take it one step at a time and ask for pointers as you go along, mentioning anything you discover as your transforming your garden.

• 10/09/2012 10:53 PM
    • Fatcat1955
    • Herts
    • 16 Apr 2012
    Top 500 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Remember that Rhododendron's need acid soil. As you will be permanently planting , you need to get the soil in shape first. Get as much well rotted manure or compost as you can worked into it this winter. Start by digging over the border's removing all the perrenial weed root's you can. Lay the manure/ compost on top about 4 inches thick. In the spring you should find that the worm's will have taken all the manure/compost down to the lower layer's of soil for you. A light fork over and you are ready for planting.

• 01/10/2012 03:00 PM
    • Sammy86
    • Stockport
    • 01 Oct 2012
    Top 500 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Ye, I am in a similar predicament. We recently started planning a landscape project for our garden and we are looking for a small section to lay down some rubber mat tiles for our granddaughter. Some thing like this

http://www.floormats.co.uk/floormatting/rubbermats/safety-mats-play-protect-40mm

We intend to dig up a large section of grass and replace in with these mats so that there is a little space that is safe to play. Has anybody any experience with this sort of thing?

Thanks

• 02/10/2012 08:41 PM
    • Snark
    • Suffolk
    • 12 Jan 2011
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Any reason why the grand daughter cant play on grass? As far as the original enquiry goes we really need some more info about soil type and aspect ie does it get any sun. Rhododendrons would infallibly die where I am as it is alkaline here. A basic pH meter is cheap compared with dead plants but even cheaper is to peer over the neighbour's fences and see what grows for them.

For the Snark was a boojum you see