Skip navigation.

Seaweed like sludge in lawn

Last post 28-09-2012 12:40 PM by vinomother. 5 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

• 15/07/2012 07:16 PM
    • Wils
    • 15 Jul 2012
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could help me identify the disease that is currently affecting my lawn. It looks like bubbly seaweed! Its slimy and very slippery but it doesn't seem to smell at all. It looks disgusting, and seems to have spread quite quickly. It may have spread as a result of lawnmowing.

When the lawn dries out, it seems to go hard and looks a bit like snail slime.

I would be very grateful if someone could point me in the right direction, I've never seen anything like it.

• 15/07/2012 07:25 PM
    • Wils
    • 15 Jul 2012
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

Lawn2.JPG

I have taken some photographs - please take a look and see if you have seen this before.

Many thanks.

• 15/07/2012 07:26 PM
    • Wils
    • 15 Jul 2012
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

Lawn 1.JPG Photograph

• 16/07/2012 08:20 AM
    • miranda
    • Oxfordshire
    • 17 Nov 2004
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

It looks like the blue-green algae called Nostoc commune. There's a page on it here: http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/bluegreenalgae.htm - it doesn't look very nice but seems to be harmless.

Another link relating to the algae on grass:

http://www.lsuagcenter.com/en/lawn_garden/commercial_horticulture/turfgrass/golf_course_management/bluegreen+algae+on+greens.htm - looks like it's down wet conditions so improving drainage might help.

• 30/08/2012 11:44 AM
    • Barberry
    • Herefordshire
    • 30 Aug 2012
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

At last - someone who has this and knows what it is. We have this in our drive (approx 300 sq metres) and it is spreading faster than the triffids! The drive is well drained but in the current wet climate it is incredibly invasive.

We have tried so far (all at double strength): Roundup, Algae and moss killer (Patio Magic), Pathclear, neat concentrated bleach, Mould killer (with bleach), Dithane (fungicide) and Rock Salt. NOTHING has killed it. Rock salt spread in a lthick layer over it doesn't kill it but certainly holds it back a bit.

The two best fungicides referred to in the link are American based and the shipping costs are therfore rather pricey. Does anyone know how to source this stuff for the UK?

PS Couldn't get the link to dgsgardening to work at all.

• 28/09/2012 12:40 PM
    • vinomother
    • Cardiff
    • 08 Apr 2010
    Top 500 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I have found this sludge in my front borders, only a couple of patches which I scraped away.  Keeping a sharp look out for any more.  Good to know what it is though.