Skip navigation.

Hardening off plants from unheated greenhouse

Last post 14-05-2012 9:44 PM by Snark. 3 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

• 14/05/2012 02:11 PM
    • watermelon
    • kent
    • 14 May 2012
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

I have an unheated greenhouse, with daytime temps about +7-8°C ambient. and nigh time around +1-2°C above ambient. i open the door on very hot days otherwise it can rocket to 30°C. I understand that hardening off, is a process of thickening the waxy surface of plants. but is this affected by temps or the movement of wind? or both? Do i need to harden off my plants at all, or should i just cool my greenhouse further by removing another pane? thanks for your time!

• 14/05/2012 03:15 PM
    • Tim Alderman
    • SE London NW Kent
    • 07 Dec 2009
    Top 75 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

My unheated greenhouses have both high and low level automatic openers so temperature not too extreme. I don't harden anything off and have excellent results. Maybe it's being in the sunny South and a fairly sheltered location. I have followed dicussions regarding hardening off before and know I am not alone.

• 14/05/2012 04:41 PM
    • courierdude
    • cambs/suffolk border
    • 14 Feb 2012
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

put them out during daylight hours and bring them back in for a few nights or during heavy rain. if they have become very leggy in the greenhouse snip them down some so they wont fall victim to any wind that could damage them.

energy follows thought
  • 14/05/2012 09:44 PM
    • Snark
    • Suffolk
    • 12 Jan 2011
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I've just nipped out and brought in a load of stuff I put out of the greenhouse today .The temperature is plummeting and with wet leaves from the heavy storm just now thry will suffer.

For the Snark was a boojum you see