Skip navigation.

RHS Journal - The Garden

Last post 01-06-2012 1:46 AM by Pam Thompson. 4 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

• 31/03/2012 11:29 PM
    • Pam Thompson
    • Worcestershire
    • 02 May 2010
    Top 500 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Did I really count 53 full pages of advertisements in this months issue? Surely not! Oh well, the editor did manage to squeeze in a fairly interesting article on Magnolias and another on Dahlias between the conservatory blinds ad and another for implants - teeth that is!! There was yet another article on wildlife (yawn). Surely all gardeners know the importance of pollinating insects? If I want to read about wildlife, I can join a wildlife society. I wonder what proportion of RHS members really need an article telling them how to divide plants? Honestly! It's not until one reads old issues of The Garden, one can really see how it's been dumbed down. A good reason for keeping back copies! Oh well there's always the RHS adverts for RHS events to read and, if they become too boring; I can listen to the radio versions - or divide an implant!! Rant over!!

http://www.peartreecottage.me/
  • 01/04/2012 08:43 AM
    • sue1002
    • Ipswich, Suffolk
    • 06 Sep 2005
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I enjoy reading the wildlife page in "The Garden" each month and have learned more about the wildlife that visit (or could visit) my garden.

sue1002
  • 08/04/2012 12:53 AM
    • Digger
    • Northern UK
    • 18 Jul 2005
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I can't say I've read many lately but I like the letters page and the wildlife section and the adverts are okay as long as they are relevant, plus some people who are very new to gardening will need to know how to divide perennials etc.. eventually periodicals will have to cover the same items over again ,they just need different ways to present the article, Percy Thrower used to get sick and fed up of doing cuttings for pelargoniums each year, but if the audience has new members we" old hats" have to let it happen I generally fall asleep anyway unless I'm reading /watching something new so I don't mind really.

digger Devil Sage of the fells
  • 15/04/2012 06:35 PM
    • Snark
    • Suffolk
    • 12 Jan 2011
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I mainly joined the rhs for a journal for non beginners. The local newsagent has at least 6 garden magazines for starters.I too have felt it is dumbing down and that the wildlife stuff is a bit basic as well. Read "No nettles Required" and avoid factoids.

For the Snark was a boojum you see
  • 01/06/2012 01:46 AM
    • Pam Thompson
    • Worcestershire
    • 02 May 2010
    Top 500 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I found this month's copy of The Garden..... eventually and lost in a record amount of unsolicited junk advertising material which disguised my much loved journal(sigh).

http://www.peartreecottage.me/