Skip navigation.

Not Impressed

Last post 27-02-2013 12:13 PM by spade monkey. 23 replies.

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >

• 19/03/2012 05:44 PM
    • LowiePete
    • Lowestoft
    • 19 Mar 2012
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

Hello Folks, I've just joined but I won't go any further. Trying to figure out how to space paragraphs seems impossible. I take a pride in my writing, despite having disabled hands, so seeing a whole block of text with no proper spacing as I've intended, is demeaning. From an accessibility point of view and compared to most other on-line forums I belong to, this site needs a re-think. Nothing here is in any way intuitive, like for example the posting of photographs, which is not difficult and would probably help people enormously. As I've said, I'm not impressed and I'll look for another forum that's easier to use. Regards, Peter S. If the above comes out as one block - it was written as 3 paragraphs!

• 19/03/2012 06:14 PM
    • courierdude
    • cambs/suffolk border
    • 14 Feb 2012
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

does sound like one of the bigger problems you might come across in the horticulture world. i think you should call the EU. Im certain they would have some legislation in place that would protect your human right to write in paragraphs. i find a full stop here and there quite adequate and stop me from losing my breath when i read in my head. I must admit, i understand what you are saying as i fell asleep when i started to read your 3 condensed paragraphs(very little paragraphs!) though on my 44th attempt i made it through to the end.

energy follows thought
  • 20/03/2012 09:00 AM
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Big SmileBig SmileBig SmileYes 

• 19/04/2012 05:23 PM
    Top 150 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Courierdude, I find your comment most unkind. I think LowiePete has made two very good points indeed, and has written them in exactly the right place (feedback on using the forums) so as not to get in the way of "the bigger problems of the horticultural world".

• 19/04/2012 06:00 PM
    • courierdude
    • cambs/suffolk border
    • 14 Feb 2012
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

i think you are right La Jardinera Feliz, i was just being trivial and petty, though, for someone to go to the trouble of making the announcement that they wont be contributing to this forum based on this most minor of defects, i think, well why even bother to inform us of your position? clearly it is of little importance to the other users of the site, unless you know of a similar post? i didnt even realise that i couldnt write in paragraphs until it wasnt pointed out to me by the original poster. as with this reply, i am responding to someone who uses this FREE facility and feels that it is below such a standard that it is unusable-with which i would disagree, as it appears most of the users on here manage to communicate amongst each other more than adequately. so, in conclusion, i merely pointed out in a sarcastic manner that the original poster was trivialising a perfectly functioning system and seemed to be 'cutting off his face to spite his nose' ...or whichever way around the expression goes.. gracious as you are, running to the aid of the overly distressed victim of this heinous indignation regarding the absence of paragraphs, i think that you yourself are being a little too politikerly korrect on the issue and i ask with what emblem your cape is adorned? now you will tell me that it is not my right to express myself in the medium that is regarded the lowest form of wit...which of course you have the right also. try to understand the simple concept that data storage costs money, empty spaces are are waste and storing photos on a server takes up a lot of space. maybe if this were understood by the original poster he might have been a little more forgiving towards the nice people that created and maintain this site.

energy follows thought
  • 19/04/2012 07:09 PM
    • sue1002
    • Ipswich, Suffolk
    • 06 Sep 2005
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I

don't

seem

to

have

a

problem

with

paragraphs

on

this

site

Wink 

sue1002
  • 19/04/2012 11:29 PM
    • AlexS
    • Reading
    • 06 Sep 2009
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

If I want to make a detailed post with paragraphs, I have to change from my usual browser, google chrome, to MS Explorer. Then I get more formatting in my posts. This is quite irritating. Much more troublesome is the difficulty of posting pictures which loads of people, me included, find very hard to do. It's not trivial, it's an obstacle to free debate, and it has been like this for years. Really, the RHS should sort it out, and it's to their discredit that they have been ignoring these sorts of rumblings for years.

Alex
  • 20/04/2012 12:37 AM
    • courierdude
    • cambs/suffolk border
    • 14 Feb 2012
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

there are many other forums that use this same photo library img code method to post pictures. i cant think of a forum that i visit that doesnt. well...actually i can think of one[mgexperience) that allows the paying section of members to insert pics direct with the post. maybe adding a donation to your demand could make it materialise? in my eyes these rumblings carry an air of ingratitude. it is like a benefit claimant demanding a bigger television to spend their days in front of. personally id rather you direct your energies towards making the sun shine brighter as im not at all satisfied with the amount of cloud cover my garden is receiving over the last few days... irritating above everything already mentioned are people who tick the 'i agree' boxes and then complain nothing is easy enough for them.

energy follows thought
  • 22/04/2012 07:28 AM
    • Julie
    • London
    • 28 Apr 2009
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

cd, I'm afraid I disagree about the photos. This is the only forum/social networking site that I use that does not allow either copying or uploading of photos, requiring instead that the photos have been previously uploaded elsewhere. I've never come across that before. It's not a major problem for me as I have 4 web sites where I can upload them to and I also use Flickr and Facebook where I could upload them but for some users they don't even understand the challenge, let alone how to overcome it.

As much as we appreciate the forum I don't think it's unreasonable to want/request a better method for sharing photos.

• 20/11/2012 12:49 PM
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

LowiePete. I read this a while back and was puzzled as I had never had problems with gaps and paragraphs.....until now. My computer went in for an MOT and failed. So I am now borrowing my other half's lap top...which happens to be an AppleMac. Now everything is as you describe... everything just moves together to form an unreadable mass of words... which I really detest. I find it extremely difficult to read. In addition when I add links to other sites they appear, but cannot be used unless they are copied and pasted. This is the only forum that is doing this. All the others work as normal. Therefore I wonder if it is cos I am on this Apple Mac plus the RHS weird site that is doing this. So please everyone be kind and understanding to LoweiePete. I can vouch for identical trouble. P.S. This was typed with many gaps and paragraphs!

• 20/11/2012 02:21 PM
    • Faraway
    • Berkshire
    • 15 Oct 2007
    Top 75 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I have the same problem and it is very frustrating.

• 20/11/2012 04:06 PM
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I find that if you use Firefox instead of Internet Explorer;

Then you can use paragraphs OK ..hope this helps.

I agree though that to be able to just copy and paste in an image would be a useful addition to the site.

Richard Big SmileYes

-Richard
  • 20/11/2012 04:28 PM
    • Susiq
    • Northumberland
    • 16 Feb 2008
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I was about to write a very unfavourable reply to some of the comments! However after reading Silversurfers response (a very, very valid member of this community) I have to say that perhaps this whole issue needs to be rectified/responded to, by a member of the RHS team? I personally have had no problems, but that is not to say that others on different systems do need some help? God knows, I'm a total dunce on all things 'techy' but perhaps these issues do need looking into, by the clever people that look after the site? Thanking you in advance, and apologies  if I've missed something easy that I shouldn't haveEmbarrassed

• 20/11/2012 06:49 PM
    • kaydee
    • Perthshire
    • 15 Feb 2009
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I thought this starter topic sounded familiar. I have no particular issue with the formatting of messages but would like to add my plea for an easy way to add pictures. I do suspect, Silver Surfer that as you describe above, a Mac doesn't help here though they are very clever things in all sorts of ways. Best K.

• 24/11/2012 10:26 AM
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Computer now fixed.

Just testing for spaces and paragraphs!

Just a minor issue... I now have a new hard drive.

I have lost everything.

Got to start from scratch again... with adding all e mail addresses. etc etc.

But at least my posts here are back to normal. Hurray!