Skip navigation.

Unseasonal Fruiting

Last post 06-02-2012 12:14 PM by madmuncher. 2 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

• 04/02/2012 04:42 PM
    • helenscape
    • Thirsk, North Yorkshire, UK
    • 20 Jun 2009
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

I like others have had experience with garden plants and crops flowering and fruiting at unusual times, and I wonder at the consequences. For example, I live in North Yorkshire and I have two blueberry bushes grown in large pots on a patio, I have had them for 2 years. They are outside all year round. One variety is Blue Crop, it fruited extremely well in July and August 2011, the other variety is Jersey, this is always later, fruiting usually in August though September, but in 2011 it did not start fruiting untill October and continued untill early December!  Although it was nice to have some late fruit, I wonder how it will effect this years crop?  The earlier fruiting Blue Crop is already covered in fat fruit buds, but as yet no sign of fruit buds on the Jersey bush. Will it crop this year? Has it exhausted it's self and have a year off? Or will it simply right it's self and crop as normal? As the weather warms I shall feed and top dress their pots, hoping this will encourage another bumper crop, and take the crop if and when I get it.     

I  have a problem my lemon tree. It is about 12 years old and about 4ft by 4ft and last year we had a fantastic crop. Because the weather was mild through the autumn I didn't bring it into the cold conservatory where It lives for the winter untill November. After a couple of weeks it started to loose it's leaves, they were still green but just went dry and shriveled then fell off, leaving just a small handful. It is still alive under it's fleece, still bearing a dozen ripe lemons and a dozen immature fruits and a few flowers, but It has never had leaf loss like this before. I should have probably brought it under cover sooner, not be tricked by seamingly mild weather. We will see how it goes this year.

• 06/02/2012 12:05 PM
    • madmuncher
    • Nottinghamshire
    • 20 Mar 2010
    Top 100 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Blueberries are tough as old boots and can take big range of temperatures..but their 'fall'..in my oppinion..is that they are very sensitive for rising temperature...and will soon react with growth recardless of the time of the year. This is particular trouble in spring..if they put growth/flowers on too early and sharp late frosts get them. Being so 'sensitive' for temperature..growing in pots may highlight that problem as soil/compost in pots will not stay 'stable' temperature that easily neither. I rarely get 'out of season' problems by growing blueberry bushes in ground or in HUGE planters. But, in a good note..even with unseasonal growth..mine normally do correct themselves without any further comlications in following year. Just let them do their thing.

• 06/02/2012 12:14 PM
    • madmuncher
    • Nottinghamshire
    • 20 Mar 2010
    Top 100 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

As for the lemon tree..now that its lots its leaves..I would take all the lemons off as it will struggle to ripen or grow them on without leaves.

There is not much else you can for now..other than keep it reasonably dry so it can cope with low temperatures, without leaves it don't need much moisture in compost other than stopping roots totally drying out. Once the weather picks up and you can see what branches have given up 'for the gost'..do you spring pruning, have a look at the rootball..perhaps re-new some of the compost and hope for plenty of new growth in coming season.

If you bring it into warm warm house now..it may start growing but with the lack of decent light you just end up with weak growth that will need hardening off again in outdoor conditions. Keep you plant in cool and hold it 'back' a little longer until spring arrives..unless you have conservatory of slightly heated GH that can provide gentle protection from worst temperatures and allow decent amount of light..in house the air might be too warm and dry and too dark.