Skip navigation.

seeds

Last post 13-03-2012 9:24 AM by lillyrose. 24 replies.

Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2

• 02/02/2012 06:28 PM
    • Anthony-c
    • liverpool
    • 16 Jun 2011
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

hi mate

here it is the cold snap, some interesting stuff,my idea of seeds is that the seed is its own food sack until a certain size germinating under its own food when the right conditions prevail

,there is some people that use a good bit of tech stuff at the moment like LED lights good stuff but expensive,i myself have just bought 300wat lowe energy blue wave light £35 for vegative growth all the coulors of the spectrum are avialable,the tropical fish world has a lot of stuff that can be adapted, ordinary cold/cool white tubes can be adapted. i will be using my light in conjunction with diy solar panel witch will also run pumps,air and submersible for airponics and hydroponics, this kind of technology would in my mind have been used by gardeners of old if it was avalable.

Born to garden forced to work.
  • 04/02/2012 08:59 AM
    • Julie
    • London
    • 28 Apr 2009
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Kaydee, do you actually get good results from Chiltern Seeds? I've found their germination poor or non-existent. With that enormous catalogue they must be getting seeds from an enormous number of suppliers, with varying quality.

• 04/02/2012 02:14 PM
    • helenscape
    • Thirsk, North Yorkshire, UK
    • 20 Jun 2009
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

Hi Keith, After cleaning up the cold greenhouse, I too have sort the warmth and my seed stash. I have already sown the first of the maincrop onions 'The Kelsae' last week, and have some webbs lettuce seedlings growing on well on a windowsill. I shall sow sweetpeas this weekend, I like to grow them with climbing peas and beans. This coming week I shall sow the first of my tomato seeds, I grow about 10 - 12 varieties each year. I love Sungold, its the best taste ever! It's also very early to crop, the seed is expensive but I always use the removed side shoots as cutting and you can produce many plants from only sowing a few seeds. I do not have a huge garden so only grow a couple each of other tomato varieties, but I do love to try unusual colours and shapes. By doing this you can discover some real delights such as tomato Black Krim, Black Cherry and the superb Green Grape, Yum!   I left some garlic in the beds from last year and they are already 6 to 8 inches high in this first week of febuary, I often do this with the smaller bulbs they grow much larger if grown on for a second year. I am trying not to sow too many seeds too soon as I get overrun in the house. I set up a couple of those mini greenhouses, { Wilkinsons sell for £10 - 13 } inside my cold greenhouse and conservatory and they work very well, giving seedlings extra protection.

Regards Helen.

• 04/02/2012 10:09 PM
    • Keith
    • Epsom
    • 30 Dec 2011
    Top 500 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Julie. who do you use? I'm looking at Mr. Forthergils. I know it might be looked upon as rather amature but I have always had good results......

You?

gardening for life
  • 05/02/2012 06:54 AM
    • Julie
    • London
    • 28 Apr 2009
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

After trying different companies I now tend to stick with Thompson and Morgan, Suttons and Mr Fothergills. I think they have better customer service. If seeds don't germinate at least they *seem* to listen to my feedback (even if they don't). Some smaller companies have just flatly denied there's any problem with their seeds. One smaller company that is ok is Landlife Wildflowers, for example, I finally got chicory plants from their seeds after failures from other companies' seeds.

Which? did a study on seed viability and some results were dismal. I don't think the average consumer realises how poor some seeds can be. 

• 05/02/2012 05:20 PM
    • kaydee
    • Perthshire
    • 15 Feb 2009
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Julie - Yes, I do get good results from Chiltern's seeds. I've used them for many years. The odd failure or low germination I suppose, but on the whole very happy with them. Best. K

• 05/02/2012 06:59 PM
    • Snark
    • Suffolk
    • 12 Jan 2011
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I havent had very good results from Chiltern Seeds or T&M possibly because I've gone for more exotic stuff from them - but poor germination is an offput and both are expensive companies. I always have catalogues from loads of companies. My favourites are Dobies for standard stuff-absolutely reliable,reasonable prices,great germination. The first company I bought from mail order well over 25 years ago and still the best. Their trial grounds in North Wales mean that things like sweetcorn Sundance actually grow in bad years! Wallis is the cheapest if you know just what you want. No frills,no pictures,enormous list and very quick turn round on orders! Kings seem to be the same company but with a pictorial catalogue, Smaller range but very good value sundries like jiffy pots.Fothergills is ok but not quite as reliable as Dobies. Appears to be virtually the same as D.T.Brown.Absolutely the best for "different" and difficult seed is Plant World Seeds.Super catalogue,outstandingly good germination even for things like eryngeums. I could spend a fortune with them every year if only I had time to prick out and grow on the seedlings.

For the Snark was a boojum you see
  • 06/02/2012 11:04 AM
    • kaydee
    • Perthshire
    • 15 Feb 2009
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Agreed, yes, 'Plant World Seeds' have a good selection of 'different' & reliable stuff too. Only thing to watch is that, perhaps because they are Devon based, their definition of hardy is not the same as mine . I check propagation/cultivation details before ordering from anywhere - but then that is all part of the pleasure of putting a seed order together on a cold winter evening! K

• 12/03/2012 10:15 PM
    • Keith
    • Epsom
    • 30 Dec 2011
    Top 500 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hello again all garden lovers.

How is everybody getting on with their seed escapades?

Regards

Keith

gardening for life
  • 13/03/2012 09:24 AM
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hi Keith,

Well I have got seeds germinating all over the house and seedlings at various stages in the GH.

So far I have got tomatoes, chillies, sweet peppers, broadbeans, peas, parsnips, leeks, courgettes, sweetpeas, asters and petunias all through and growing away nicely.

In the garden I have got the first rocket through, cut and come again salad leaves and carrots and my first pots of potatoes are just growing through the soil.

One very happy LillyroseBig Smile.

How you doing