Skip navigation.

Blackfly Remedy

Last post 06-09-2011 10:30 AM by Arrem. 4 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

• 15/07/2011 09:17 AM
    • Mary
    • Oxfordshire
    • 20 Jun 2011
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

With blackfly rapidly assembling on the stems of my Cardoon and a Calendula, I checked the web to find a whole list of things to buy at the garden centre to deal with the problem (I've tried the squishing method, and it's a bit gross). Someone suggested a weak solution of washing up liquid and water in a mister bottle. I was a little sceptical, but tried it and it's done the trick! Definitely a cheaper option and 100% successful!

• 15/07/2011 10:38 AM
    • Scott
    • South Yorkshire
    • 20 Oct 2010
    Top 100 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Good stuff. I use it regular to wash Scale off the bark of my Acacia dealbata. We also use an insecticide in the horticultural world called Savona. Its pretty much the same stuff and has the same effect..

• 01/08/2011 01:38 AM
    • 07 Nov 2006
    is online
    Reply | Contact

I use this for aphids and it works as you do it, as does the garden hose! But they are back the next day, while chemical sprays last 2-3 weeks. Well I cannot go out everyday with the hose or spray with washing up liquid. I had read about adding Vegetable oil to the washing up liquid, I added a dash and it was then sticky and lasts much longer on the plant.

• 04/09/2011 07:51 PM
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I hadn't heard about the addition of vegetable oil I will try that next time...thanks for the tip my friend

-Richard
  • 06/09/2011 10:30 AM
    • Arrem
    • Staffordshire. UK
    • 12 Jul 2009
    Top 75 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I do believe that if you check the active ingredients in some of the bug sprays, they list Rapeseed oil as a significant component.   I thought we had discussed this on another thread, but I cannot find it now.

There is no such thing as useless - you can always be a bad example.