Skip navigation.

Sick/Dying Eucalyptus Tree

Last post 17-08-2011 2:40 PM by Scott. 7 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

• 02/05/2011 06:09 PM
    • BeltonRose
    • Leicestershire
    • 27 Feb 2011
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

We have a mature 20ft Eucalyptus tree which seems to have suffered from the harsh winter. The leaves have turned brown and brittle and are now falling from the tree. I can't see any signs of new growth. Is it dead? Any suggestions on what to do? Thanks

• 06/05/2011 12:48 PM
    • MC
    • UK
    • 19 Sep 2008
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hi I'm not an expert on tree care but generally, if you cut out what looks to be dying, this sometimes gives the tree a chance to put energy into new growth. I thought my bay tree had had it last year from frost and snow damage but after a good prune, it recovered and is doing as well as ever. I'm sure there is someone out there with more expertise than myself though!

• 18/05/2011 04:50 AM
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

Hi, we have moved house and have a very large Eucalyptus Tree in the garden , how severe can we prune it and when should that be done ? our neighbour wants it down but we do not as it screens their house from us.

• 19/05/2011 12:24 PM
    • Linnea
    • 13 Jan 2007
    Top 150 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I've seen them taken back to stumps so I don't think you have anything to worry about, but I'd probably wait until autumn or winter when there is not so much sap

• 19/05/2011 09:45 PM
    Top 500 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I've never grown eucalyptus, but I know that flower arrangers who do often keep it cut right down to a stump.  The leaves of the young shoots are quite different (round) from the mature ones (long and thin) and generally considered to be more decorative.  It looks like it's a risky thing to do unless the tree is still fairly young, though -- see http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?pid=136.

• 19/05/2011 09:52 PM
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

My parents have several very large eucalyptus trees in their garden and they cut one of them right down almost to the ground and it grew back no problem, in fact it looks better now than before it was cut down

• 16/08/2011 12:44 PM
    • MissFlax
    • East Ham
    • 26 May 2009
    Top 150 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hi

My neighbour has a lovely Eucalyptus tree in his front garden. He had it pruned by a travelling gardener last Autumn, then we had a harsh winter - there are barely any leaves on it now although in the last month or two some new growth right at the bottom.  Did the gardener kill it or is a combination of bad pruning and hard weather?  Ill post some pics of it up shortly.  Very sad looking.

Commit Random Kindness and Senseless Acts of Beauty!
  • 17/08/2011 02:40 PM
    • Scott
    • South Yorkshire
    • 20 Oct 2010
    Top 100 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Oh what a poor year for Eucalyptus this year due to the extreme temperatures. Has mentioned earlier i have seen them with no new growth that look totally dead and some with vast amounts of new basal growth, depends on the variety. Trees are usually very good at regenerating themselves under stress by new basal growth, suckers etc. Eucalyptus respond to pruning really well usually, in fact a bit too well sometime ( just ask any arborist in Australia that fight a daily battle to control them). If you have a lovely standard Eucalyptus in you garden and you decide to have it reduced or pruned in any way. Its really difficult to keep the shape of the original tree due to the rate the regrowth grows. Annual or bi-annual pruning will be required to keep the tree in its standard form. Worth keeping in mind if you are having to pay an Arborist to do the work. Betula(Birch) have the same growth habits. I have seen Eucalyptus that have come back after severe weather we have had, but in most cases they have had to be felled or Coppiced due to extreme die back. If you do get any basal growth, it should make a nice bush if pruned back hard every year ( This how florists get their lovely straight bright leaved stems, through coppicing). You just have to remember that you will never get anything that resembles the original tree you had..