Skip navigation.

Ticks

Last post 02-07-2010 11:09 AM by Lip. 6 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

• 26/06/2010 07:18 PM
    • Lip
    • Leicester
    • 26 Jun 2010
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

Hi, can anyone give me some advice please. My sister and I have recently been clearing a small terrace house garden in the middle of Watford that I and my two dogs will be moving into; only to find that both of us were covered in ticks that evening. My dogs are regularly treated with frontline but I wondered, after reading about ticks on the net, was there any type of pesticide I can spray the garden with or any form of natural pest control I could use.

• 26/06/2010 07:32 PM
    • Phot's-Moll
    • The sunny South coast.
    • 06 Jan 2007
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I don't know of any sprays etc - sorry. Hopefully now you've cleared the garden they won't find conditions to their liking and clear off.

I suggest you ring your doctor on Monday and say you've been bitten by ticks in case there's anything you need to do - I have heard of people contracting Lyme's disease through tick bites. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyme_disease

http://patsysplot.blogspot.co.uk/
  • 26/06/2010 08:12 PM
    • Lip
    • Leicester
    • 26 Jun 2010
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

Thanks for your quick reply. We have already done so as both my sister and I have a variety of health problems so far we have have had to treat ourselves with derbac m that contains malathion and has also advised that anything containing permethrin can kill ticks. From my understanding ticks can go without a blood source for a long time and as both myself and one of my dogs have to have regular steroid treatment that lowers our immune system there is a great cause of concern. So far I have sprayed the car with fly killer as it contains permethrin (had to transport waste to local dump without knowing about the ticks at that time)and put nippon ant killer dust around the boundary of the property (contains permethrin) to help the situation. But on reading have found that we should spray the garden (fences,shrubs, walls etc)to about 2-3 foot above ground level as the cunning little crawlies are opportunists to get to anything with a blood source, they also sense pesticides/insecticides being used and will run in the opposite direction very quickly.

• 26/06/2010 10:37 PM
    • Phot's-Moll
    • The sunny South coast.
    • 06 Jan 2007
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I hope they keep on running and don't come back.

http://patsysplot.blogspot.co.uk/
  • 27/06/2010 07:09 AM
    • Lip
    • Leicester
    • 26 Jun 2010
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

Lol me too hun.

• 01/07/2010 05:44 PM
    • Akira
    • 15 Jun 2010
    Top 500 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hi Lip, I sympathise with your tick problems, we are sometimes (seemingly at least) almost over-run with them here and the dogs and cats pick up anything up to 15 a day each, and that's despite being treated with Frontline and most recently Stronghold. Our vet suggested that ticks were becoming resistant to Frontline, which is why we switched over, but neither seem to have too much effect. Incidentally, Permethrin and Pyrethrin are both incredibly toxic (lethal in fact) to cats, just so you're aware.

• 02/07/2010 11:09 AM
    • Lip
    • Leicester
    • 26 Jun 2010
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

Thank you so much for letting me know its very much appreciated, we really wouldn't want to do anything that would harm the local cat population.