Skip navigation.

Coffee reawakened

Last post 29-03-2013 7:15 PM by Snark. 5 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

• 20/06/2010 03:23 PM
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

After browsing an old thread about the benefits, or not, of using used coffee grounds I wanted to try to get to a conclusion about it before I total ruin my garden and was wondering if anyone had any new advice or tips with regards to this. I have discovered, from the library and internet, that used coffee grounds are fairly ph neutral(acidic before being brewed but the acids are soluble) is a good source of nitrogen and contains around 5% ASH which in turn contains the following compounds; Sand - 1 .06% Silica - 0.84% Ferric Oxide 1.18% Lime - 5.51% Magnesia - 10.98% Potash 61.84% Soda - 0.36% Phosphoric acid - 12.94% Sulphuric acid - 4.63% All very scientific but I'm still at a loss as to whether or not I should use coffee grounds and which plants it would benefit and which would suffer from application either via a diluted solution or direct onto the base of a plant(?) Any new information appreciated as I have a lot of used coffee available and wouldn't want to see it go to waste this year!

• 20/06/2010 04:30 PM
    • Phot's-Moll
    • The sunny South coast.
    • 06 Jan 2007
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Huge amounts wouldn't be a good idea, but then huge amounts of anything might not be a good idea. Don't believe that coffee grounds from home use are likely to cause a problem if occassionally spread around the garden.

I put my coffee grounds on the garden - usually on hostas or other plants that will benefit from extra slug protection. Not entirely sure the grounds are much use against slugs, but they don't seem to be doing any harm after seven years.

You could put yours on the compost heap if you're reluctant to put them straight on the garden.

http://patsysplot.blogspot.co.uk/
  • 20/06/2010 08:11 PM
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

Thanks PM. So it's not as simple as using coffee rather than a fertiliser? Compost it may have to be.

• 20/06/2010 08:17 PM
    • Phot's-Moll
    • The sunny South coast.
    • 06 Jan 2007
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

The coffee grounds won't replace fertiliser, no.

http://patsysplot.blogspot.co.uk/
  • 29/03/2013 02:13 PM
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

i put coffee grounds around my carrots and have never had a problem with carrot fly

• 29/03/2013 07:15 PM
    • Snark
    • Suffolk
    • 12 Jan 2011
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I put them round potted plants outside my back door. They are supposed to deter slugs but I'm not convinced that they do much. However they don't do any harm either.

For the Snark was a boojum you see