Skip navigation.

Peach leaf curl - remedial action

Last post 05-06-2010 2:08 PM by dollydolittle. 2 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

• 05/06/2010 10:58 AM
    Top 500 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I have just discoverd that we have a peach tree!

It's not very big so I can easily get to all the branches (it's sort of bent over) and has fruit on it, which is how we realised it was a peach tree.  However, it also has leaf curl.  I realise it should have been sprayed in autumn and February, but that obviously didn't happen because we didn't know what it was.  Obviously I will remove the infected leaves, but should I spray now? or do I wait until the right time comes round again? And am I likely to get anything edible off a small peach tree in an English garden?

• 05/06/2010 11:45 AM
    • dimitri
    • Devon
    • 14 Jan 2010
    Top 75 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Remove and destroy the affected leaves before they develop the whitish "bloom", which is the spores of the fungus.   New leaves should be unaffected.

There is no point in spraying now, but spray with copper or Dithane in the autumn just before leaf fall and twice more in late January and mid February.

Is it small enough to rig up a rain shelter?  This is usually only done for trees grown against a wall, but is very effective in preventing infection.  The main problem with a tree in the open is making it secure against strong winds.  If you could protect it between January and mid-May, you wouldnt need to spray - mind you, spraying may be less of a faff than making a shelter!  More details on this website:  at the top of the front page, select Plants/Advice search/Categories: Problems/Peach leaf curl.

You should get a crop, especially if its a sheltered spot, if the birds and wasps dont get them first.

• 05/06/2010 02:08 PM
    Top 500 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Thanks for all that info.  I'll know better next year.

I think the birds could be a problem, its trunk curves at almost a ninety degree angle and has a large bird feeder full of fat snacks hanging from it! (there when we moved in)

However, it is very sheltered where it is: south facing with a fence and leylandii behind it.   The highest branch is just over 6 feet high so maybe draping netting over it would keep the pests off?