Skip navigation.

What is a garden for??

Last post 15-08-2010 9:36 AM by SweetGardener. 7 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

• 05/05/2010 10:11 AM
    • Pam Thompson
    • Worcestershire
    • 02 May 2010
    Top 500 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

For me it's creative pleasure. Trouble is: it's so addictive! http://www.peartreecottage.me/

http://www.peartreecottage.me/
  • 05/05/2010 10:27 AM
    • willco
    • SE london
    • 05 Mar 2009
    Top 500 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

is this your blog? The gardens look amazing and I love your blog!! Your pond is fab, I've just taken on an allotment with a wildlife pond and have been trying to decide what to do to the margins. One thing intigued me...your tied the lillies to to house bricks..how did you do this? It sounds like a great idea.

God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done
  • 05/05/2010 11:30 AM
    • Pam Thompson
    • Worcestershire
    • 02 May 2010
    Top 500 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Yes it's my blog. Thank you. Well actually, we tied them to pavers (more rounded edges) I figured not too many water lilies have nasty plastic baskets in the wild! Anyway, they all continue to thrive. Maybe it's the agricultural upbringing? We turfed up to the edge originally but it was never going to look right - hence more marginal planting. We do have high hopes for the watercress - fingers crossed. I used to have an allotment too. PS. Great wellies!

• 06/05/2010 08:07 AM
    • willco
    • SE london
    • 05 Mar 2009
    Top 500 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I think its a fantastic idea. I was given some water lillies at the weekend and although I bought water plant bags I'm still not happy with the affect. Think I'll try your method, sounds much more fun as well ;-) My pond is in a really bad way - nothing has been done to the edge, the liner is still massively oversized. So far I've concentrated on improving the water but my next step will be the edging. As my pond is on my allotment I really want it to be a wildlife pond so I think I'm going to plant it up and level one part out to make a shallow entry point for animals. Your pond has def given me hope and lots of inspiration. Please keep up your blog, its a pleasure to read

• God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done
  • 06/05/2010 09:56 PM
    • Pam Thompson
    • Worcestershire
    • 02 May 2010
    Top 500 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Good luck with the lilies. Ours have never looked back and flower prolifically!! If you ever have the chance: watch Geoff Hamilton's "Paradise Gardens" It was televised some years ago but there was a beautifully planted pond garden and I've never forgotten it. The series was really poignant (maybe it's even on You tube?) and demonstrated useful garden creativity and not just presenters posing around with a trowel in one hand! It's available on Amazon at http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Ddvd&field-keywords=geoff+hamiltons+paradise+gardens&x=15&y=21 )

• 21/05/2010 09:51 PM
    • dave
    • iver buckinghamshire
    • 16 May 2010
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

for a wildlife pond you will need a beach area so wildlife can get out if they full in also for them to come and drink and have a bath dont need filter uv just a lot of oxygen plants i did one a few years ago in my old house for the edge i use turf look more natural also some large rocks stacked up from the bottom of the pond upto the water edge and on to the bank for frogs newts to winter in and hide in from the hot weather best of luck and enjoy it would like to see some photos of it

dave

do not look down on people only when you are helping them up
  • 21/05/2010 11:02 PM
    • Neumsy
    • Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    • 17 May 2010
    Top 500 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

What A Garden Means To ME

BY Becky

Aged 36 1/2

Big Smile

For me a garden is about having a connection with the land, and having the joy of watching my food progress from a little seed to that ruby red glowing jar of home canned tomatoes! Its about feeling that dependence on the seasons and cycles, and knowing that if I ever had to, I *could* be utterly self sufficient to feed myself and my family. (I'm dying to have chickens, but our alottment won't let us. Boo!)

I come from farmer stock on both sides of my family, so maybe it's in my genes! I want my kids to know what produce is supposed to taste like, and to know where their food comes from and how to preserve it. But mostly it's just how I've always lived my life. It restores my faith in the miracles that move our Universe. My garden is my church, really.

Just a Mommy who's been missing her connection with the land, and who wants her kids to know what real produce tastes like, and how to preserve it! -Becky
  • 15/08/2010 09:36 AM
    Top 500 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

As far as concerned to me a garden is for beauty inside your home, so what do u guys think about it Big Smile