Skip navigation.

Fox damage - stunning japanese maple damaged

Last post 21-05-2010 8:53 AM by willco. 3 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

• 05/05/2010 08:43 AM
    • willco
    • SE london
    • 05 Mar 2009
    Top 500 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hi, I've come out today to find a fox has wrecked one side of my garden by digging, from streetlevel, under my fence and up in to a deep raised bed. Aside from the plant roots strewn everywhere, earth scattered and plants crushed, I am really worried as a large root from my Japanese maple is exposed. It looked like it has been slightly knawed but not snapped. I know I cannot repair the root but is there anything I can do to keep "the tree stress" to a minimum. This is a stunning tree and I do not want to lose it.

More long term what can I do to stop the fox? I'm thinking about adding a think plank of wood (scaffold plank?) to the side of the fence and concrete on the outside. We have lived here for a few years and this is the first time a fox has attempted to enter my garden in this manner. On the whole I welcome wildlife to my garden and I have not tried to prevent foxes before as they usually just clamber over a lower fence but I'm concerned about the new level of attack. I have seen a young fox around the garden and wonder if it is looking to build a den nearby, or worse in my garden. Would a layer of lion manure deter it I wonder?  Advice needed....plus any stress beating tips for me or anger management!! Super Angry

God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done
  • 11/05/2010 01:56 PM
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

All you can do is tidy up the damage.  Foxes tend to be transitory and have agreably short lives in the urban situation.  Some temporary fencing to protect vulnerable plants will have to do until the fox moves on.  They can climb quite tall fences as well as dig pretty well.  I presume rural gardeners can still ask the local hunt to send the terrier man and towser to slay nuisance foxes?  Lion manure fine if lions prevalent in your district and sufficiently obliging.

On the anger management front I find some beer, a little light cussing (muted so the neighbours don't call the police again) and a lime pickle sandwich help greatly.

Boggy

Beware the bat-eared bogweevil
  • 14/05/2010 03:32 PM
    • OliviaG
    • 14 May 2010
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

Oh no! Foxes can cause so much damage. We had a family of foxes that used to come into our garden from the copse behind our house, and while they were quite cute, they kept making holes and digging up my plants and bulbs Hmm

I'd recommend you get an ultrasonic repeller. It solved my problems and is also a more long-lasting solution than pellets or other deterrents. You can switch them off too if you want to save power when you're in the garden yourself etc. I got mine here if you're interested:

http://www.primrose-london.co.uk/pest-control-repellers-c-24_197.html

I've got the FoxWatch, which is one of the more expensive ones but is very good - but there are cheaper ones than that if you prefer. It arrived very quickly too.

Good luck! Hope you can save your Japanese maple...!

• 21/05/2010 08:53 AM
    • willco
    • SE london
    • 05 Mar 2009
    Top 500 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Thanks for all your advice. I lost a lot plants and probably most of my summer bulbs as the foliage was ripped off but I think my maple has survived. I've put chicken wire around the surviving plants and so far so good. I've had to dig up most of my raised beds to bed in some sleepers to block their routes and for the momnet this seesm to have worked. Now sure teh same can be said for my anger management...mild cussing has developed into loud cussing at mere sight of fox in a 10mile radius and my continued muttering in the garden has left my neighbours questioning my sanity!Hmm

God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done