Skip navigation.

Recycling a plastic milk bottle - Making a seed tray and labels

Last post 24-02-2012 10:52 AM by richardpeeej. 11 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

• 26/04/2010 12:31 AM
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I have found good uses for plastic milk bottles. By cutting them in different ways I have used them in the past as scoops, funnels, plant pot saucers, cloches, storing paint brushes in. Filling with water and freezing them, then putting them in pots and baskets upside down so they water over a long period as they melt on a hot day.
    More recently I have used them for making plant labels and containers for starting off my seeds. To do this:-
    Cut the bottle as shown

Use the one part to make plant labels

and the other part for filling with compost and planting seeds
    Here is one I have filled with radish seeds – and labelled Big Smile

Hope you like this thrifty idea …. Wink

Richard

-Richard
  • 26/04/2010 10:06 AM
    • EvaInNL
    • Holland
    • 25 Sep 2009
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

LOVE the idea Richard! Was running out of plant labels and have loads of empty milk bottles waiting to go to the recycling bin, will hold a couple back now. Thanks for the clear instructions! Yes

Was just thinking that with a couple of pebbles in them and hung from a string attached to a pole they might also make good birdscarers..

• 26/04/2010 10:12 AM
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Thanks Eva I'm glad you liked it. Smile

Is the idea that  the bird scarer would work by making a noise if it was windy?

-Richard
  • 26/04/2010 11:38 AM
    • EvaInNL
    • Holland
    • 25 Sep 2009
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Yep, that's the general idea and that it would flail about in the wind... Although I'm a bit dubious that anything wil deter pigeons and crows that have their tiny little minds set on food... Smile

• 26/04/2010 02:29 PM
    • sue1002
    • Ipswich, Suffolk
    • 06 Sep 2005
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I find that the pigeons tend to go for the pea shoots as they're coming up and once a row of netting is put in place between poles, they tend to keep away.

Brassicas are another favourite food for pigeons and the year I didn't net against them, I poked sticks of different heights in amongst the plants (they don't like getting poked up their rear end as they landWink) and this worked well against the pigeons but did nothing for the cabbage whites laying their eggs, this year I have some enviromesh on hand when the brassicas get planted out.

sue1002
  • 26/04/2010 08:20 PM
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Ah I see Eva. We get a lot of pigeons and collared doves in our garden and they munch on all they can.

Good idea about the sticks Sue. I grew some cabbages last year and we didn't even get to eat one as the cabbage white caterpillars had them all!

-Richard
  • 30/04/2010 10:11 PM
    • Digger
    • Northern UK
    • 18 Jul 2005
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

ah richard what splendid idea for using one of the many plastic milk cartons that people have each day, however i've read your post and looked at the pictures and arrived at this conclusion,

1) you a really a tight wad

2) you have far too much time on your hands

Big Smile only joking mate, but I don't think i'd have the patience or dexterity to cut up all those plant labels

digger Devil Sage of the fells
  • 30/04/2010 10:47 PM
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

HA ha Big Smile that's right Digger I don't like to throw anything away if I can use it for something elseWink

-Richard
  • 06/05/2010 04:23 PM
    • catymck
    • surrey
    • 12 Mar 2009
    Top 75 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Another use is cutting the tops and bottoms off and placing them over things like young sprout and broccoli plants - keeps the slugs and snails off a treat.  And yes, I freely admit to being tight-wad and having too much time on my hands!

• 21/04/2011 05:39 PM
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Thats a good idea about cutting the tops and bottoms off to stop slugs and snails. Can they climb up them and then drop inside and munch awaythough. I am going to give your idea a try this year..thanks for sharing the useful tip.Yes

-Richard
  • 23/02/2012 09:57 PM
    • jamesk34
    • 08 May 2010
    Top 500 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I like the label idea, will have to use that. I intend to use mine as hanging planters for strawberries in my greenhouse. See here for my first attempt at it http://ploughyofurrow.blogspot.com/2012/02/maximise-greenhouse-growing-space.html

J

Plough Your Own Furrow
    http://ploughyofurrow.blogspot.com
  • 24/02/2012 10:52 AM
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Great idea my friend thank you for sharing. I have repied to your blogger page too..

-Richard