Skip navigation.

Small ponds for my small garden!

Last post 07-06-2011 9:19 PM by geoff51. 6 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

• 22/04/2010 09:35 PM
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I thought I would share this thrifty idea as I only have a small garden and wanted a pond.

The pond had to be small due to lack of room -so wait for it- I made two little ponds side by side using an old washing -up bowl and a deeper mop bucket. I put the bowl and bucket in separate bin liners so as not to see the sides when they were full of water. I then dug a hole large enough for the two items, made sure they were level by filling the bowl and bucket with water and looking at the levels- and adjusting them until they were level. Then I filled around them with garden soil and edged it with some pieces of broken flat slate that I had lying around, and cemented the slate in. I put some stones in the corners so that frogs or anything else can get in and out. I know there is a frog around that area as I have seen it. The pond is not large enough or deep enough for fish but it will be OK for frogs and other insects to visit itWink

Finally I had two figures that my daughter didn't want, I made a little fishing rod and started planting around the sides. I will put more plants around to finish it off when they grow in my mini- greenhouse:-

-Richard
  • 25/04/2010 09:13 PM
    • geoff51
    • Totton, Hampshire
    • 13 Feb 2009
    Top 75 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Now this is a pondBig Smile Took this photo yesterday, as you can see it is beginning to come to life and the fish are getting peckish. Actually I inherited the basic pond from the previous owner but have jumped headlong into water gardening in the last ten years, and love every minute of it

Geoff51 Pond life!?!
  • 26/04/2010 12:12 AM
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Yes Geoff, that is a nice pond. It would be far too grand for my little garden as it is about the same size as it. I see that you have some Koi carp in there. Do you have any frogs or any other wildlife that visits it?

-Richard
  • 26/04/2010 04:54 PM
    • geoff51
    • Totton, Hampshire
    • 13 Feb 2009
    Top 75 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I have got one small lot of taddys hiding from the fish behind the Iris and a couple of frogs there too. the actual pond is about 16 ft X 8 ft plus waterfall.

My garden is 60x65 feet and the pond is in one corner, the house is only 2beds but I boght the house on the strength of the garden and have not regretted it.

Yes we have ghost Koi an assorted goldfish about 24 in totalBig Smile

Geoff51 Pond life!?!
  • 26/04/2010 08:28 PM
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Wow you have a nice sized garden Geoff, and pond,no doubt you can manage to grow all that you want.

When we move here in 1983 I was not into gardening, just growing a few flowers so the garden didn't really feature into our house searching. Now that we have both finished work and I like the garden maybe  I could do with a larger one although I have enough garden for our needs, sitting out, growing a few flowers and veg. I have my name down for an allotment so that should not be too long in coming.Smile.

-Richard
  • 07/06/2011 07:30 PM
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

ponds are great focal points for gardens i'm hoping to get one put in over the summer, the bottom of my garden is quite shadey so i need to move some plants like my rhododendrons but as soon as thats done then i can start diggin down and get some footings made. hopefully i'll be able to brick it upto waste height and down about the same in depth

• 07/06/2011 09:19 PM
    • geoff51
    • Totton, Hampshire
    • 13 Feb 2009
    Top 75 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Buy or borrow a good water garden book to give you some ideas, or if you have a World of Water near you they have demo gardens that will inspire you

Geoff51 Pond life!?!