Skip navigation.

Yellow spider with red markings

Last post 06-08-2009 4:29 PM by sue1002. 8 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

• 05/08/2009 03:22 PM
    • sue1002
    • Ipswich, Suffolk
    • 06 Sep 2005
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Does anyone know what this spider is please?  This is the clearest photo I could get as it kept moving about while I was trying to keep the sprout leaf I found it on still.  When I originally found it, it was watching over a caterpillar of the large cabbage white butterfly which had been caught up in the spider's web.

sue1002
  • 05/08/2009 03:39 PM
    • Pesty
    • At a desk
    • 24 Nov 2005
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

One of the more colourtful spiders

It looks like Misumena vatia (sometimes called the flower spider) comes in white, pale green or yellow. This spider is an ambushing species - typically sits on white or yellow flowers and waits for insects to visit before pouncing.

'Trying is the first step to failure' H.J.Simpson
  • 05/08/2009 04:21 PM
    • sue1002
    • Ipswich, Suffolk
    • 06 Sep 2005
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Thanks Pesty, I see it's a useful addition to the garden.  From what I've just read on them, it looks like the one here is probably a female and hope it lays eggs so the offspring can catch more of the caterpillarsBig Smile

sue1002
  • 05/08/2009 05:15 PM
    • Mike Harvey
    • Mulbarton
    • 05 Aug 2009
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

I don' t think it is a crab spider - more like enoplagnatha ovata or comb footed spider. If it matters !

• 05/08/2009 06:09 PM
    • miranda
    • Oxfordshire
    • 17 Nov 2004
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

We get those here, Sue. I've been meaing to look it up for a while so am glad that you asked about it. Impressive looking creatures, aren't they?

• 05/08/2009 06:23 PM
    • sue1002
    • Ipswich, Suffolk
    • 06 Sep 2005
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

They certainly are MirandaSmile

Thanks Mike, I've been checking pictures again of the Misumena vatia and your suggestion of Enoplognatha ovata and have come to the conclusion that what we have here is the E. ovata, the body shape is spot on compared to the more rounder shape of the Misumena vatia.  The red marking seems to indicate E. ovata redimita, I did go back out in the garden to see if I could find it again but it's done a runner but I do remember the underside of it was yellow and had a black stripe running down the length of it's body.

While I was trying to find it, I came across another similar one which I think I've worked out as Enoplognatha ovata lineata, the photo doesn't actually show the black spots on it as the spider is tiny compared to the one pictured earlier.  Here she is guarding her egg sac on one of my purple sprout leavesBig Smile

sue1002
  • 06/08/2009 07:51 AM
    • Pesty
    • At a desk
    • 24 Nov 2005
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Thanks Mike - Yep - I'd go with Enoplognatha ovata - (legs look all wrong for it to be a crab spider) Has several forms apparently the one with the red bands being the second most common, the most common pattern is yellowish white with two rose of widley spaced dots.

Eight legged things have never been my strong point...

'Trying is the first step to failure' H.J.Simpson
  • 06/08/2009 03:12 PM
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Enoplognatha ovata lineata -It seems to me that the smaller the spider, the longer its name when you think of the size of the Black Widow!

-Richard
  • 06/08/2009 04:29 PM
    • sue1002
    • Ipswich, Suffolk
    • 06 Sep 2005
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Pesty:

Has several forms apparently the one with the red bands being the second most common, the most common pattern is yellowish white with two rose of widley spaced dots.

And it looks like the two most common forms are in my garden.  As far as I am aware, this is the first time we have seen them here.

sue1002