Skip navigation.

Happy Birthday garden

Last post 21-06-2009 11:27 AM by Kesira. 7 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

• 17/06/2009 09:23 AM
    • Kesira
    • Elkesley, Nottinghamshire
    • 15 Jun 2009
    Top 500 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

View across garden

When I first moved into this house the main drawback was the garden.  Notedly the back garden.  It was very small in comparison with past gardens.  The view from the window  was of  a large and misshapen leylandii, a garage wall which was simply a mass of dead and overgrown ivy and worst of all a HUGE gas tank smack bang in the middle.  yes, the middle, who would do that? To the neighbouring side was a broken fence which we were firmly asked by the neighbours 3 days after moving in to replace. No other fences or boundries.  Just ugliness and concrete.  Oh yes, the concrete!  I think it must have been on special offer or something!  There were concrete 'paths' everywhere!  All around the the perimeter, one through the middle, a huge platform for the gas tank, another huge one for a coal bunker (large enough for a housing estate).  It was .. well.  I sat there on the day we moved in and sobbed.  I just thought it was dreadful and beyond hope and my capabilities.  At that monent I saw it all as a huge mistake.  But with time I managed to save enough money to pay someone to come and clear it all and relocate the gas tank, etc.  After loads of time, money, and hard work.  I had a garden!  This is now the second year and it's 'birthday' is around now.  I know it's not the best garden in the world but I love it and it gives me much joy.  I'm in and out of the house to it all the day long.  Just wanted to share it with you guys.

The dogs water feature

Gardening Tip
    When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it was a valuable plant.
  • 18/06/2009 01:57 PM
    • sue1002
    • Ipswich, Suffolk
    • 06 Sep 2005
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

You've done very well to have created a lovely looking garden in a short time Kesira, keep up the good workSmile

sue1002
  • 18/06/2009 02:12 PM
    • miranda
    • Oxfordshire
    • 17 Nov 2004
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

That's amazing, Kesira Smile What a lot of hard work you've put in, you should be very proud of your garden now. I bet it gives you a lot of pleasure.

• 18/06/2009 02:44 PM
    • Digger
    • Northern UK
    • 18 Jul 2005
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I agree wth my dear friends you have a splendid gardenBig Smile

digger Devil Sage of the fells
  • 18/06/2009 04:03 PM
    • Kesira
    • 15 Jun 2009
    Top 500 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Oh thank you, and yes, it gives me enormous amounts of pleasure.  I'd love to take all the credit but the guys that did the clearing and hard landscaping were amazing.  They gave me a basis for everything so in comparison my efforts are small.  I still have loads of plans though.  Lots of little things I want to add or change, which, I suppose is all part of the fun!  But overall, for such a young garden i'm overjoyed with the results and I know that with time it will only get better and better.

My next job is to work on the front garden which unusually for this sountry is larger than the back garden and more enclosed/private.  Again, I have lots of plans for it but this one will be alot slower as I will end up doing most of it myself a bit at a time.  Infact it's that which brought me to this website, looking for inspiration.  I've found alot of it too so thank you!  No doubt i'll be making posts looking for tips and advice on planting and design for this project.  I'd like to get it right first time as trial and error can be expensive.  Anyway thanks :)  feels nice to get the approval of folks here :)

Gardening Tip
    When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it was a valuable plant.
  • 20/06/2009 03:58 PM
    • helenscape
    • Thirsk, North Yorkshire, UK
    • 20 Jun 2009
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

Wow! You have a lovely garden! All the hard work was worth it. I myself am working on a garden new to me, I've moved back home with my mum and have spent the past year getting it back in shape. I spent 4 weeks solid digging out nettles and other rampant weeds. I'm getting there! It's a great encouragement when you see results like yours!

• 20/06/2009 04:43 PM
    • Digger
    • Northern UK
    • 18 Jul 2005
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hello Helenscape, Well done you for getting stuck into your mum's garden, it would be good to see some pictures as your garden takes shape my friend.

digger Devil Sage of the fells
  • 21/06/2009 11:27 AM
    • Kesira
    • 15 Jun 2009
    Top 500 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Ouch, that sounds like back breaking work but isn't it great when you take a break and look where you have 'been' and see the difference!  Makes it all worth the effort I think.  That's one of the things I love most about gardens.  The rewards are frequent even something like pulling  out a few weeds shows results and gives a feel-good factor.  The feel-good for something like you are doing is huge though! Good luck and i'd love to see pics too.

Gardening Tip