Skip navigation.

BROUGHSHANE

Last post 19-10-2012 8:05 PM by courierdude. 8 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

• 13/05/2009 09:58 AM
    • ALI67
    • BROUGHSHANE
    • 13 May 2009
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN........MY COMMUNITY GROUP HAS WON THE BRITAIN IN BLOOM AWARD MANY TIMES.THE RESULTS OF THIS HAS PROVED TO BE DEVASTATING.THE YOUNG PEOPLE OF THE COMMUNITY CAN NO LONGER AFFORD TO LIVE HERE BECAUSE OF INFLATED HOUSE PRICES AND THE VILLAGE HAS BEEN SUBJECTED TO CONTINUAL DEVELOPEMENT WITH MOST HOUSES BEING BOUGHT BY PEOPLE WHO COMMUTE AND CONTRIBUTE NOTHING TO THE VILLAGE.EVEN THE PEOPLE WHO WORK ON THE COMMITTEE DO NOT LIVE IN THE VILLAGE AND JUST SEEM TO BE HUNTING FOR THE GLORY OF THE AWARD.THE SPIRIT OF THE COMMUNITY HAS BEEN COMPLETELY LOST.

WE HAVE BEEN SUJECTED TO CONTINUAL ROADWORKS BECAUSE THE VILLAGE WOULD GET MORE POINTS IF THERE WERE NO OVERHEAD WIRES.THIS HAS RESULTED IN A SUBSTANTIAL LOSS OF BUSINESSES......SOMETIMES AS MUCH AS 50 PERCENT......THE KNOCK ON EFFECT OF THIS IS STAFF REDUNDANCIES....FAMILIES HAVING TO RELY ON THE STATE, AND AT THIS TIME OF RECESSION IT IS PARTICULARY GALLING TO BE CLAIMING BENEFITS WHEN THE COUNCIL ARE SPENDING MONEY....(£9000.00 IN ONE INSTANT ON UPSIDE DOWN TREES.....YES THAT IS ACTUALLY TRUE) ON FLOWERS AND THINGS WHICH ARE REALLY DAMAGING TO THE COMMUNITY.

I REALISE THAT THIS IS NOT THE AIM OF THE BRITAIN IN BLOOM AWARD SYSTEM BUT I DO THINK THAT THEY SHOULD BEAR SOME OF THE RESPONSIBILITY.

• 13/05/2009 11:25 AM
    • Botanic Tone
    • Woking Surrey
    • 28 Mar 2009
    Top 200 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Britain in Bloom is organised through local authorities. I don't think this forum is an appropriate noticeboaed for your obvious frustrations. I don't believe the RHS has any direct connections with the scheme. I suggest your local newspaper, if not already covered? Where is Broughshane??

Well I read it Ali, but I suspect this forum will regard it as "off target", Tony.

When all at once I saw a crowd....
  • 13/05/2009 12:18 PM
    • ALI67
    • BROUGHSHANE
    • 13 May 2009
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

I THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY.WHILST I APPRECIATE THAT THIS IS PROBABLY NOT AN APPROPRIATE FORUM AND THAT THE RHS, A MOST REPUTABLE AND INVALUABLE INSTITUTION.....I FELT THAT THE JUDGES OF THE BRITAIN IN BLOOM COMPETITION SHOULD BE AWARE OF THE IMPACT THEIR JUDGEMENTS, RULES AND COMMENTS HAVE ON COMMUNITIES.

IT WAS NEVER MY INTENSION TO OFFEND.....I MERELY ACCESSED THIS SITE UNDER A BRITAIN IN BLOOM SEARCH NOT KNOWING OF ANY RHS CONNECTIONS.

BROUGHSHANE IS A VILLAGE IN CO ANTRIM IN N.IRELAND.

• 13/05/2009 01:14 PM
    • miranda
    • Oxfordshire
    • 17 Nov 2004
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hope you can find an answer, Ali67. It isn't something that had occured to me before.

By the way, using all capitals in your posts is generally considered to be 'shouting' on forums. 

• 13/05/2009 02:12 PM
    • ALI67
    • BROUGHSHANE
    • 13 May 2009
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

Thanks for your reply and thanks for  letting me know about etiquette......but perhaps i needed to use all capitals.

I see Broughshane has qualified for the finals this year and perhaps i will get a chance to speak to the judges.

• 26/06/2009 01:25 AM
    • Kathy
    • Leeds
    • 03 Oct 2008
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

The Britain In Bloom competition is run by the RHS so here would be an appropriate place to discuss it, although I'm not sure some of your complaints can be blamed on the competition.

There's nothing in the judging criteria about overhead wires or anything like that.  

Young people are being priced out of villages all over the country so even without Britain In Bloom success your village would almost certainly still have that problem.

I agree about committees being full of people that just want to look good, that can happen in any town, even the ones that have little success in the competition.  These people then put off anyone who is actually interested in gardening.

• 23/05/2011 07:57 PM
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

I think Britain In Bloom is great and it gets people interested in horticulture and yes if your town/ city wins then it may have some adverse affects but these must be out weighed by the positives. i would never have got interested in azaleasand rhododendrons if i hadn't been planting our local flower beds around the city

• 19/10/2012 06:41 PM
    • kaydee
    • Perthshire
    • 15 Feb 2009
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

According to an article in this week's 'Garden News', the village of Broughshane has just won Champion of Champions in the RHS Britain in Bloom 2012. A glowing report about a delighted thriving community beating off 71 other finalists. In the light of ALI67's anxieties it would be interesting to see how they cope with the celebrity of it after all these years. All the members of our Village in Bloom group do own their own homes & there is an idea that a well presented community will help support property values during the present difficult times. We have only got as far as a silver medal. It's great fun & rewarding in all sorts of ways if quite hard work. Where you go after Supreme Champion status I don't know. Hmmm K

• 19/10/2012 08:05 PM
    • courierdude
    • cambs/suffolk border
    • 14 Feb 2012
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

i hate it when gardening becomes the preoccupation of aspiring elitists. i definitely think that plants should not come before people-especially when they are located in a area(a village)designed and designated for human habitation. maybe everyone in Ali's village suffers the same OCD? maybe psychiatric intervention is called for when people obsess over appearance above more important aspects of village life.

energy follows thought