Skip navigation.

Cabbages Bolting

Last post 11-05-2009 10:19 PM by Mi Jardin. 7 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

• 10/05/2009 08:44 AM
    • susieg
    • London
    • 10 May 2009
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

I am new this year to vegetable gardening.I planted savoy cabbages Oct last year and the majority are doing well (despite my efforts Smile). I have one problem in that 3 of my plants have bolted and produced flowers. I have discarded the plants but wondered if anyone could give me an idea of why that might happen as I want to learn and avoid future problems. Thanks

• 10/05/2009 09:36 AM
    • Phot's-Moll
    • The sunny South coast.
    • 06 Jan 2007
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

If any more do this, you can eat the flower buds just like purple sprouting.

Had they formed cabbages before the flowers? If so then you just didn't eat them quickly enough and they've gone over.

Or did they not heart up?  In which case it could be that you didn't plant them firmly enough.

http://patsysplot.blogspot.co.uk/
  • 10/05/2009 11:21 AM
    • susieg
    • London
    • 10 May 2009
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

They did not heart up at all although the others seem to be doing ok.

I presume therefore that as you say I maybe didnt plant these ones firmly enough...lesson learned. Thanks Smile

• 10/05/2009 11:34 AM
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Firmness has nothing to do with it. Cabbages tend to flower if they experience frost at a large enough size (number of leaves)although special spring cabbages can be grown that don't do this. Savoy cabbages are best sown in mid-spring, planted out in late spring early summer and eaten from autumn until late winter. There are some fast growing savoys for summer and early autumn use that can be sown earlier. Savoy cabbages are not really suitable for planting in autumn for young plants to over-winter and head in spring and summer (commonly called spring cabbages) although it could just be possible. If you were hoping for winter cabbages you planted way too late. Still time, just, to sow cababges for next winter. Consider sowing spring cabbges in July for next spring. Boggy

Beware the bat-eared bogweevil
  • 10/05/2009 01:28 PM
    • susieg
    • London
    • 10 May 2009
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

I cheated this time and planted nursery grown hardy plants Oct/Nov time and it did say for eating Summer...just couldnt wait to get going once the plot was prepared.

My Spring Cabbages have been fine (as are my sprouting broccolli,Garlic, Onions, carrots, peas and leeks) and most of the Savoys but these 3 had bolted.

Maybe they had caught a bit of frost but they were probably more sheltered than the others....doesnt quite make sense at the moment.

Anyway having fought off the pigeons with netting the others are all doing ok. Thanks for the advice. I am sure you will see me back for more Smile

• 10/05/2009 03:49 PM
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

The bolting ones were just that bit more sensitive to cold - I am amazed that autumn planted savoys produced anything useful. Boggy

Beware the bat-eared bogweevil
  • 10/05/2009 05:14 PM
    • susieg
    • London
    • 10 May 2009
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

The strain is Savoy King...and they harvesy December/March (not summer as I posted earlier) as I Have just checked the label.......

As I say most are doing very well......just goes to show we can all learn on these forums eh?Smile

• 11/05/2009 10:19 PM
    • Mi Jardin
    • Colchester
    • 11 May 2009
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

If cabbages don't heart up, you can use them as greens instead, just as yummy!