Skip navigation.

Lemon tree

Last post 21-06-2009 10:47 AM by billyboy. 10 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

• 06/05/2009 04:30 PM
    • chriss
    • iwuk
    • 06 May 2009
    Top 100 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

from Chriss 

I have just picked my first lemons from a tree (Meyer) I bought last year. The fruits are very juicy and not as bitter as the lemons you buy.It lives all year round in my conservatory. It's first crop was just two fruits. I made lemon squash with them and it was delicious. If you would like to make some here is the recipe:- 

2 Lemons. use the zest and the fruit liquidised. add half oz citric acid. 1 lb sugar. add pint boiling water and leave to cool. strain into a bottle and use within a week. Enjoy!

let me know how you get on

• 06/05/2009 05:33 PM
    • Digger
    • Northern UK
    • 18 Jul 2005
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

That sounds like a splendid lemonade drink, how much did the lemon tree cost you?

digger Devil Sage of the fells
  • 26/05/2009 02:46 PM
    • chriss
    • iwuk
    • 06 May 2009
    Top 100 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

It cost about £30 and is about 18inches tall. It has just flowered again and looks like I will have a bigger crop this year. I think it will only crop what it can manage for the size of the tree.

• 26/05/2009 03:42 PM
    • Digger
    • Northern UK
    • 18 Jul 2005
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

It's good that you can grow some lemons, how many do you think you will get this year, I only ask for economic reasons, I know it's cheaper to go and buy some lemons but it's much more satisfying to grow your own, eventually your tree will pay for itself once the crop of lemons has reached more than £30 worth

• 03/06/2009 04:39 PM
    • chriss
    • iwuk
    • 06 May 2009
    Top 100 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

good point digger. I'm a bit of a plantaholic so I didn't think from that perspective. It looks like having a much bigger crop this year. I reckon about 25 lemons. Apparently when it is full grown it is capable of cropping inexcess of 300 lemons per year and can grow for 60years. not bad eh.

• 03/06/2009 06:16 PM
    • Digger
    • Northern UK
    • 18 Jul 2005
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Yes that crop sounds very good, I too am a plantaholic and I daren't calculate how much my clematis collection or my show veg are costing me but your tree will probably soon pay for itself. All you need now is a homemade lemonade stand at the front of the houseBig Smile

• 19/06/2009 02:49 PM
    • billyboy
    • Suffolk UK
    • 19 Jun 2009
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

Chriss, I have just bought a lemon tree and I have potted it. I would appreciate any information you can give me. billyboy.

• 20/06/2009 03:38 PM
    • helenscape
    • Thirsk, North Yorkshire, UK
    • 20 Jun 2009
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

Hi there, I have a lemon tree that I bought about 9 years ago. It is over 4ft high now. It usually has about 20 lemons of various sizes and maturity on it. Most of the lemons take at least a year to ripen, not sure if this is usual. It's kept in a conservatory but goes out for the summer. Watch out for scale insects, mine was badly infested and the only way I got rid of them was to take it outside and wash it clean using a soft sponge. Good luck with yours.

• 20/06/2009 08:01 PM
    • chriss
    • iwuk
    • 06 May 2009
    Top 100 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hi billyboy. First of all did you use ericaceous compost, they like an acid soil. This time of year .I give it a feed every week of citrus summer feed, and in the winter it gets a feed of citrus winter feed whenever it needs watering. Good luck.

• 21/06/2009 10:40 AM
    • billyboy
    • Suffolk UK
    • 19 Jun 2009
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

helenscape, thanks for your good advice, I shall keep a keen eye on it, as i do for most of my fruit bushes regarding pests. I have a particular problem with my peach tree, regarding leaf curl. For the first two years it was fine and produced a good crop. But last year it failed totally. This year however having treated it with a recomended spray with claims to control leaf curl it has some success. It has not cleared all of the curl but the fruit looks promising. Thanks again billyboy.

• 21/06/2009 10:47 AM
    • billyboy
    • Suffolk UK
    • 19 Jun 2009
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

Thanks to you also chriss, although on the instruction card which came with the tree is says it is comfortable with ordinary pot peat. However I do have ericaceous feed which I shall use on a regular basis. Thanks again for your advice. billyboy.