Skip navigation.

A splendid new invention

Last post 27-03-2009 2:39 PM by Phot's-Moll. 9 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

• 10/03/2009 04:59 PM
    • Digger
    • Northern UK
    • 18 Jul 2005
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Well whilst I've been resting and recuperating, I took the time to create yet another fantastic invention that will revolutionise the way gardening can be done, especially in terrible climates like Lancashire. Of course the Airflow Root Stimulation Enclosure is still working well and remains my copyright,

The new invention is my idea and remains my idea and i own the copyright so no one can steal it from me, so here goes. The sunshine is sparse up here even in summertime, so we need to make use of the paltry poor excuse of sun that we do get, the only way to do this is to exploit the little sun we get and amplify it,

To do this we need a sheet of clear plastic corrugated roofing sheet, it must be clear, next we need a few dozen plastic drinks bottles they must be no larger than 500ml, so I use lucosade bottles but coca cola ones will do but they only hold 330ml, next remove the labels from the bottles and clean them proper;ly inside and out, they must have no marks or scratches on them at all, next get a tube of clear silicone sealant, fill all your clean bottles with clean water, the water needs to be clean and crystal clear, seal all the bottle caps up tightly, next apply the silicone sealant to the concave parts of the clear plastic corrugated roofing sheet, then lay it down flat on the ground and apply the water filled clear plastic bottles to the corrugated sheet where the silicone is, put the bottles in a row from edge to edge of the sheet and put the bottles top to bottom to entirely cover the sheet, then put more silicone sealant onto the bottles and place another sheet of clear plastic corrugated roofing sheet onto the bottles, so in effect you have a sandwich of water filled clear bottles between two sheets of corrugated plastic.

Next let the silicone set for about three or four hours, now take the sandwich sheet to your growing bed area and place it along one edge, preferably the edge that receives some sunshine, prop up the sheet with either canes or an angled frame so it leans over the bed slightly, make several of these sheets for more areas, I am using a piece of tubular angled frame to support the sheets, it looks a little like a roof but on the ground, you can make the sheets as tall or short as you like, anyway the sun will hit the sheet the water will magnify the suns rays which will then be hitting your soil growing area, the heat will gently warm your soil to a lovely equatorial temperature, the heat will stay in your soil and seeds will germinate more readily. This idea is my own idea so no one can nick it and claim it as theirs

I call this latest invention : the Sun Catching Radiation Optimum Thermal Enclosure and it goes well with my previous invention, any of my good friends on here can use the idea but don't try to impress your friends by telling them that you invented it, because one day you will get found out and have to pay lots of money in royalties, of course as the RHS is a charity that is dear to my heart they can also use the idea for nowt.  

digger Devil Sage of the fells
  • 10/03/2009 09:05 PM
    • Phot's-Moll
    • The sunny South coast.
    • 06 Jan 2007
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

It does sound as though it would warm the soil up pretty well and it'd also have the advantage of keeping it dry, but ... How do you plant under it? You could remove it for planting, but then the plants will be exposed to the cruel, cold world.  I'm thinking that you could whip it off and sow seeds on a sunny day and replace your S.C.R ... OK, let's not go there - let's just say we replace your device but then we'll need a pulley system to gradually raise it as the plants grow and also a kind of skirt (think hovercraft here) to keep out the drafts.

http://patsysplot.blogspot.co.uk/
  • 11/03/2009 06:42 PM
    • Digger
    • Northern UK
    • 18 Jul 2005
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Ah Phot's one edge of the panel is on the ground already, the panels can be used as tall ones or short ones just on the side of the bed but leaning in a bit, I think the S.C.R.O.T.E. is a capital idea, although I may change the name now that sue1002, pointed out the abbreviation and told everyone! You're more of a Devil than a Angel sue1002.

That said i don't think many people are behind the idea so it may not be worth going into production.

• 12/03/2009 08:47 AM
    • Anemone
    • County Down, Northern Ireland
    • 08 Feb 2008
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

digger, I think your idea has loads of merit though I wonder at the strength of the corrugated plastic roofing to hold so many heavy plastic bottles full of water.  Surely empty bottles would do nearly as well and be much lighter and less likely to break the plastic?

Anyway, a suggestion for a new name now that you are thinking of changing it - the Solar Thermal Optimiser Prototype.  Wink

Anemone
  • 13/03/2009 07:13 PM
    • Digger
    • Northern UK
    • 18 Jul 2005
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

The weight of the water filled bottles gives the panel stability and the water helps to magnify the suns rays, and as the bottles are sandwiched between the panels they are quite strong, I'll have to have a re think about the name, because someone who is old enough to know better..........mentioning no namesWink must read the posts and then see what rude words they can glean from it, but that's a minor detail now the rude name has been pointed out it should make the product more appealing and therefore more marketable, yes thanks sue1002, i think the S.C.R.O.T.E. is a good abbreviation that will intirgue potential buyers.

• 26/03/2009 04:04 PM
    • Digger
    • Northern UK
    • 18 Jul 2005
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I think the public should decide on the name of the new idea, as an alternate name after the abuse of the English languge, I do have this. Temperature Increasing Thermal Sheet? what do you think?

• 26/03/2009 08:18 PM
    • sue1002
    • Ipswich, Suffolk
    • 06 Sep 2005
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Big SmileBig Smile 

sue1002
  • 26/03/2009 09:41 PM
    • Phot's-Moll
    • The sunny South coast.
    • 06 Jan 2007
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Warmth elevating inclined radiator device?

• 26/03/2009 10:11 PM
    • Digger
    • Northern UK
    • 18 Jul 2005
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Do you really think so Phot's ?

• 27/03/2009 02:39 PM
    • Phot's-Moll
    • The sunny South coast.
    • 06 Jan 2007
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Nah, it's just that moderately ariel raised ventillated elegantly linear leaning overhead ultra-good system is a bit too long.