Skip navigation.

Palm tree appears to be dying

Last post 17-04-2009 2:17 PM by Rae. 8 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

• 10/03/2009 09:20 AM
    • Rae
    • Dorset
    • 31 Jul 2007
    Top 75 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

We have beautiful "common" gardens in our mews and I was alarmed to see that a couple of the branches (lower) have gone brown.  Closer inspection I see that the end of the upper new branches have also gone brown.  Its a newish "tree" which would have been planted about 3 years ago.  I am hoping its not been sabotaged as I know that some of the residents find the gardens tiresome and obstruct the pathways.  We do get them cut back each year but some people take things into their own hands.

Taking the optimistic route ie no foul play involved - has anyone any suggestions?  This tree is so beautiful.  Its not huge - probably about 8 feet high.

• 10/03/2009 03:05 PM
    • sue1002
    • Ipswich, Suffolk
    • 06 Sep 2005
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

It sounds like it's been affected by the cold weather.

sue1002
  • 10/03/2009 03:38 PM
    • Rae
    • Dorset
    • 31 Jul 2007
    Top 75 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Will it recover?  Is there anything we can do to help it?  Should I wrap it up in a nice warm blanket?!

• 10/03/2009 06:06 PM
    • sue1002
    • Ipswich, Suffolk
    • 06 Sep 2005
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Wrapping it up now will be like bolting the stable door after the horse has bolted, as any damage will have already been done.  Only time will tell if it will recover, you could  cut back the bits that have gone brown once the weather warms up a bit.

sue1002
  • 19/03/2009 02:55 PM
    • Rae
    • Dorset
    • 31 Jul 2007
    Top 75 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Thanks Sue - I guess you are right.  I went and inspected it yesterday and I find that one of the branches has been cut off halfway along the branch - someone obviously thought they couldnt handle a lovely palm branch encroaching over their pathway.  I dont know if this would have caused the frost to get into the tree but makes me mad!  If its who I think it is they have cut down all the shrubs around their door / cut down a beautiful formosa tree in their garden and are having their lawn astro turfed!  Bah.

• 19/03/2009 05:27 PM
    • sue1002
    • Ipswich, Suffolk
    • 06 Sep 2005
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

It sounds such a shame Rae that one of your neighbours doesn't give a hoot about the plants about to have cut them down, perhaps they would have been better off in a high rise flat instead of a house with a lovely garden and surroundings.

sue1002
  • 19/03/2009 05:39 PM
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

My canary island palms have gone brown after the cold weather - should not have left them outside.  Will replace with hardier Chusan palms.

However as a rule palms don't have branches which makes me suspect that your palms are in fact cordylines which regrow well after pruning.

Boggy

Beware the bat-eared bogweevil
  • 21/03/2009 02:29 PM
    • Rae
    • Dorset
    • 31 Jul 2007
    Top 75 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hi boggy cant say I know what type it is but looking it up the one it appears to be is a Butia Yatay which says its extremly hardy.  On looking at it again only one branch is completely brown - I will maybe push my way through the other plants (very dense growth of cordylines) and see whether that particular branch has been damaged.

• 17/04/2009 02:17 PM
    • Rae
    • Dorset
    • 31 Jul 2007
    Top 75 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hi now the weather has improved and on full inspection there are a few branches that are turning brown even the new growth at the top seems to have brown ends.  The offending branch that was cut has gone black at the end which I think is the frost damage?  We are about to tackle our communal gardens and this particular bit is very densely populated so its a veritable jungle but when I pushed through I could see that the bottom branches are all turning/turned brown - should we cut them back to the trunk?  Does anyone know if we should "feed" the tree which must be 12ft high now (and planted in the ground not a pot) with anything to try to aid its recovery?  Your help would be most appreciated it as we are all (except the offending neighbour) very upset that we might lose this beautiful tree which is the centre point of the gardens.