Skip navigation.

Mammoth Onions

Last post 10-04-2009 9:05 PM by Alex's Legacy. 10 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

• 23/02/2009 09:02 PM
    • Alex's Legacy
    • Sutton Coldfield
    • 14 Feb 2009
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

I am new to vegetable gardening and I am following in the steps of my father who has grown vegetables since we were children.  I am bound to be constantly asking questions as I am no longer able to ask him.

My first question relates to my onions -  I have planted some mammoth onions in my greenhouse which I believe are now at the crook stage.  My book recommends that I plant them on into new pots at this stage but I started them off in cells.  Do I need to plant them on or will they be ok left in the cellular trays.

Thank you

Jilly
  • 24/02/2009 08:49 PM
    • Phot's-Moll
    • The sunny South coast.
    • 06 Jan 2007
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

If they're sown one seed to a cell, then they should be OK as they are. If several are sown together then seperating them is probably best.

Hopefully Digger will be along to advise - he knows his onions!

http://patsysplot.blogspot.co.uk/
  • 27/02/2009 09:03 AM
    • Alex's Legacy
    • Sutton Coldfield
    • 14 Feb 2009
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

Thank you - Digger where are you!

Jilly
  • 27/02/2009 09:16 PM
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

They will be fine in cells for a while and when they have rooted a bit more in the cells they can be moved to individual pots much more easily than pricking out seedlings. Boggy

Beware the bat-eared bogweevil
  • 13/03/2009 06:45 PM
    • Digger
    • Northern UK
    • 18 Jul 2005
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hello, I've been away for a while so didn't get to look at this post, When you say mammoth Onions am i right to presume they are Robinson's?

have you grown them under lights with any heat? are they grown from seed or did you get seedlings or pips

digger Devil Sage of the fells
  • 27/03/2009 09:08 PM
    • Alex's Legacy
    • Sutton Coldfield
    • 14 Feb 2009
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

Hi thanks for responding - yes they are Robinsons and I have grown them from seed in a heated greenhouse.  I have now planted them into pots and looking forward to putting them in the coldframes.  I have also grown Red Baron Onions and some Robinsons Leeks - Unfortunately I have planted way too many so my friends will be planting out onions too!

Having seen the onions grow from seed I now understand why they call it the loop stage - its intrigueing isnt it!

Jilly
  • 27/03/2009 10:51 PM
    • Digger
    • Northern UK
    • 18 Jul 2005
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Are you using any sort of artificial light for your onions? if they are for the showbench they will need a little feed as soon as possible, but not like leeks onions only need a little feed, have you prepared a bed for them or are you going to grow them in large containers? also you'll get the best results from growing them indoors rather than open to the unpredictable elements.

• 28/03/2009 02:21 PM
    • Alex's Legacy
    • Sutton Coldfield
    • 14 Feb 2009
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

Thank you digger - I did chuckle at your suggestion of showing them - that is a tad ambtious for me as it is the first year that I have grown my own!  I havent used any form of artificial light - they have just been in a wooden greenhouse with a parafin heater - although my husband has agreed to run a cable from the house down to the greenhouse as the putting on of the heater on a daily basis has driven him mad and me!

I am just moving the red barons into a cloche to start hardening off and the mammoths onions and the leeks will follow soon.  I have prepared a raised bed for them when I plant out in May time.

Who knows - maybe they will grow fantastically and I may decide to show next year!  Although I doubt it.

Why do u refer to artificial light?

Jilly
  • 28/03/2009 02:34 PM
    • Digger
    • Northern UK
    • 18 Jul 2005
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I mentioned the light because i grow for exhibition and i presumed that as you were growing Robinson's strain you were doing the same, from seed I sow onions on Dec25th in heat of and i keep them in heat of approx 20 celsius, as soon as the leaves  are true i turn on the lights, I use a special formula growing media and i use son t agro lights that give blue near red and far red from the spectrum occasionally i supplement this light with a full spectrum bulb. The idea is that the more green leaf we can grow the bigger and better the bulb will be, but the lights need only be for 12 hours each 24 as when the light begins to exceed 12 hours the onion begins putting energy into forming the bulb, the main key is to get a good strain of onion either seed or clones Robinsons is good, but there are some fantastic re selection of top cultivar seed out there if you can get them and of course pips are excellent from top bulbs, schedules will call for seed grown or other so some have to be grown from seed anyway, it's not the biggest onions that are always the best except for the heavy onion competition but where a schedule calls for six or twelve onions we need them to be uniform in size weight colour and condition etc, if you are growing Robinson's outdoors get some calcified seaweed into the ground before you plant them out and don't over feed them during the season, they will produce good onions that may be okay for a small local show, have a go on the showbench and see what you think, some shows have novice sections for beginners, which is how i got started.

• 10/04/2009 09:01 PM
    • Alex's Legacy
    • Sutton Coldfield
    • 14 Feb 2009
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

Digger - I am thinking of putting my onions out now into a cloche to harden off - is this OK?

Hope you are well and have a happy Easter!

Jilly
  • 10/04/2009 09:05 PM
    • Alex's Legacy
    • Sutton Coldfield
    • 14 Feb 2009
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

Jilly