Skip navigation.

kill weeds on my drive

Last post 19-01-2009 2:31 PM by bogweevil. 5 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

• 17/01/2009 08:33 PM
    • wicksy
    • london
    • 17 Jan 2009
    Top 500 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I am trying to permanently kill weeds on my drive prior to paving it in the spring.  Have tried various weed killers but weeds come back after a month or so.  Any recommendations on how to hill them permanently?  Not sure what they are but they have a root (similar to a d Dandelion) that go up to 12 inches into the ground

• 17/01/2009 08:59 PM
    • Digger
    • Northern UK
    • 18 Jul 2005
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hello Wicksy my friend, someone recently suggested that a tiny dab of salt on a cotton bud was enough to kill a dandelion, however I don't know if that works but I know what does work, you can get some sodium chlorate that you mix with water yourself, that will kill all plants that it comes into contact with and it's effective for a good six months, I would use the sodium chlorate and then lay a membrane down when the weeds have died and then put your flags onto the membrane this should stop the weeds permanently.

digger Devil Sage of the fells
  • 19/01/2009 10:44 AM
    • Tee Gee
    • Huddersfield
    • 12 Jan 2009
    Top 500 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I would use the sodium chlorate

I agree but be quick it is to become a banned substance next year it would appear!

• 19/01/2009 01:23 PM
    • Digger
    • Northern UK
    • 18 Jul 2005
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Yes I've heard that one Tee Gee, maybe we will all end up using table salt at this rateBig Smile

digger Devil Sage of the fells
  • 19/01/2009 01:39 PM
    Top 200 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

My OH used to pour the salted water from boiled potatoes onto the drive to kill the weeds: it never worked.

• 19/01/2009 02:31 PM
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Not necessary to kill these weeds before paving.

If you are laying a thick, well-made bit of paving then weeds won't get through it. 

If your paving is less robust or if you have doubts on your ability to make weedproof masonry use a geotextile, twixt soil and paving, remembering to allow generous overlaps at joins.

Either way you should have no significant weeds from below the paving. Ever.  Unlike weedkillers that will likely need renewing every so often.

Other points are that weedkillers work on growing plants.  In winter it is too cold for plants to grow.  Therefore treating now is waste of money.

Sodium chlorate and salt are soluble in water (disolve in water).  If often rains in winter.  Therefore salt and sod chlorate wash below rooting depth quite quickly.

You might be removing soil to make paving in which case weeds will go too - geotextile still good idea though.

Boggy

Beware the bat-eared bogweevil