Skip navigation.

canny tips to save ££££'s

Last post 28-08-2009 11:23 PM by richardpeeej. 44 replies.

Page 1 of 3 (45 items) 1 2 3 Next >

• 14/11/2008 06:41 PM
    • Digger
    • Northern UK
    • 18 Jul 2005
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I've racked my brain for a while so here goes, don't buy any newspapers they are expensive and usually quite dull, if you need to read a newspaper go to the local library and you can read one for nowt. Next don't put the central heating on at all just wear an extra jumper,this will save lots of money gas is expensive, next if you boil the kettle for a cup of coffee make your brew and pour the rest of the boiling water into a thermos flask,this will save you having to boil the water in the kettle again, next one is don't switch the lights on in the house ,use candles instead, but the cheapest ones you can find and store them in the freezer,just take one out each time you need to see in the dark,because they are frozen they will last three times longer than usual. The last one for now is don't give any money away at all no matter what it's for, charity begins at home and a lot of charities in the UK are awash with financial resources but still go out begging for our hard earned dosh. Oh and one more drive the car very carefully never race off at the traffic lights and if you are on the motorway run the car at 54.9mph or thereabouts and keep the car windows closed, don't put the heated rear window on that uses more energy. If you get invited to a party over the Christmas period, don't think that you have to take along an expensive bottle of wine or spirits, fill an old wine bottle with watered down vinegar and then when everyone is drunk let them have the vinegar and tell them it's homemade wine, they won't know the difference if they are drunk enough.

digger Devil Sage of the fells
  • 14/11/2008 06:48 PM
    • Phot's-Moll
    • The sunny South coast.
    • 06 Jan 2007
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Thanks for those, DiggerConfusedVinegar can be pricey - I think it'd be better to actually make that homemade wine. Also you're then more likely to get invited back and can save loads of money eating your hosts food and using their heat and light. 

http://patsysplot.blogspot.co.uk/
  • 14/11/2008 07:12 PM
    • Digger
    • Northern UK
    • 18 Jul 2005
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

That's a good point Phot's but don't buy vinegar or salt/pepper or sugar, go to an establishment that provides downmarket foodstuffs and they provide little packets of condiments just fill yer pockets when you get the opportunity. some supermarkets have restaraunts (if you can call them that) and it's a synch to fill your pockets with stuff i like brown sugar with my coffee and our local supermarkets has loads of it, going to party's to eat food sounds good but you may have to host your own party and that will cost

• 14/11/2008 08:13 PM
    • sue1002
    • Ipswich, Suffolk
    • 06 Sep 2005
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

How long did it take you to come up with all those then digger?

I don't buy newspapers, the only one we get is the freebie one that comes through the door every week and I always sling them in the back of the cupboard in the kitchen until I find a use for them, ie making newspaper pots.  I get my news info from either the tv or the internet.

When I'm making a cuppa, I only put the amount of water required in the kettle that is actually needed so I don't boil more than is needed.

I've got another tip which will save money in the garden - make your own plant feed from comfrey/nettles etc instead of buying the chemical ones available in the shops.

sue1002
  • 14/11/2008 09:07 PM
    • Digger
    • Northern UK
    • 18 Jul 2005
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Yes i remember those paper pots i did get the hang of them eventually, the nettle brew stinks to high heaven though. I'll think of some more money saving tips soon enough. I did read the subject section and it said money saving tips, which can be about any way to save money not just in the garden, so I've lots to think about.

• 14/11/2008 09:10 PM
    • Phot's-Moll
    • The sunny South coast.
    • 06 Jan 2007
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

The more money we save elsewhere, the more we'll have to spend on plants!

http://patsysplot.blogspot.co.uk/
  • 23/11/2008 01:25 PM
    Top 25 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I'm all for that Phot's-Moll !!!!

• 27/11/2008 02:04 PM
    • Lennie
    • SE23 London
    • 27 Nov 2008
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

Make your own medicine from herbs and honey.

Lemsip, cough mixture and tonic from pharmacies are so expensive.

I just make some herbal medicine using my own herbs and that gets me better and saves me money.

• 27/11/2008 02:30 PM
    • miranda
    • Oxfordshire
    • 17 Nov 2004
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

That one about putting candles in the freezer sounds like a True Story, digger. Where did you get that one from?

Here's mine - if you use hard soap, rather than liquid, keep several bars in the airing cupboard to let them dry out and harden more, then the soap will last longer when you come to use it.

I buy very few cleaning products - old t-shirts are used for rags and dusters and I use soap and hot water for cleaning rather than fancy stuff and everything is quite clean enough. For windows, some vinegar in the water and then a shine with newspaper works well.  

• 27/11/2008 03:13 PM
    • Susiq
    • Northumberland
    • 16 Feb 2008
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I always do my windows that way Miranda, and I also think the results are much better than using any expensive stuff! Keep nail varnish in the fridge - it lasts much, much longer - sorry Digger, not one for you!

• 27/11/2008 03:26 PM
    • Digger
    • Northern UK
    • 18 Jul 2005
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hmmmn, even Oh rarely wears nail varnish due to always being at the stables, all my hints are feasible i think, but the candle in the freezer works really well, I've no idea where it came from??? maybe I dreamed it? I don't clean windows though, except the greenhouse and then I use water and armillatox, but don't do that in the house it will reek for months! the herbal remedies are a good idea, but local honey is soon to be a thing of the past in Britain

• 27/11/2008 04:06 PM
    • miranda
    • Oxfordshire
    • 17 Nov 2004
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Nail varnish...oh yes, that stuff, I remember now Wink

The window cleaning method works far better than any liquid spray I've ever bought. Can't figure out why people bother with all that stuff.

Not sure I can bring myself to believe you about the candles, digger. Part of me suspects that you're giggling about it, right now, and waiting to see who believes it.

Like Sue, we also make our own plant food from nettles and comfrey and, yes, it reeks to high heaven, but it does the trick. For the garden, we've got to know some thatchers and they let us have their old straw. It's useful stuff for mulching the beds with and for the brown layer on the compost heap.

• 27/11/2008 05:23 PM
    • Digger
    • Northern UK
    • 18 Jul 2005
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Miranda it's true honestlyWink just give it a go with a candle kept in the cupboard and one that's been in the freezer overnight,Big SmileBig Smile

• 27/11/2008 06:07 PM
    • miranda
    • Oxfordshire
    • 17 Nov 2004
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Oh, alright then, digger, I shall.

If it doesn't work, I shall be asking questions...

• 28/11/2008 03:33 PM
    • Digger
    • Northern UK
    • 18 Jul 2005
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Did you try freezing the candles Miranda?