Skip navigation.

White patches on TOMATO Leaves

Last post 29-08-2008 8:20 AM by kandeakay. 7 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

• 28/08/2008 08:45 PM
    • Sunshine
    • London
    • 28 Aug 2008
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

Started gardening in London this year, and have no idea what's happening with my tomato plants. Planted "Money makers"- or so lady at the market told me (I was told also, that plants will be miniature with loads of frut). Plants grew to about 5", but I have a lot of fruit, so, not complaining. The whole plant is looking ok, there are a lot of fruit (just started getting red), but about a week ago grey/white dry spots/patches apeared on leaves. It looks a bit like washing powder and I can scratch it of with my finger. Leaves are not curling or drying, white spots only on upper side of leave, downside is green, fruits are not affected (not yet?), and not all plants have the same amount of these patches. I grow my tomatoes outside, as my greenhouse became too small. Took some photos, but have no idea where I can post them. Thanks to everybody in advance.

• 28/08/2008 08:56 PM
    • Phot's-Moll
    • The sunny South coast.
    • 06 Jan 2007
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Have you been watering the plants with tapwater and getting that on the leaves?

There are instructions somewhere about posting photos, but basically, you need to put them on a site such as photobucket (which is free) and then copy the link here.

http://patsysplot.blogspot.co.uk/
  • 28/08/2008 09:42 PM
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Doesn't appear to mould http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0700/tomato_mould.asp

or blight http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0803/tomato_blight.asp

I think our other correspondent has this b to r.

-------------------

Ow! My most of me!

• 28/08/2008 09:50 PM
    • Phot's-Moll
    • The sunny South coast.
    • 06 Jan 2007
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I was thinking of calcium from the water.

http://patsysplot.blogspot.co.uk/
  • 28/08/2008 09:55 PM
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Yes, I'm seeing a lot of it as I'm having to use mains water via a hose as I can't lift the watering cans full of but-water.

Don't think it will cause any damage to tomatoes; citrus or blueberries, maybe, but not tomatoes.

-------------------

Ow! My most of me!

• 28/08/2008 09:57 PM
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

should perhaps add, that damage won't be to caused by the spotting on the leaves, but the ph change in the soil (I think)

-------------------

Ow! My most of me!

• 28/08/2008 10:42 PM
    • Sunshine
    • London
    • 28 Aug 2008
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

It's me, Sunshine, again. Uploaded photos- THANK YOU, PHOT'S-MOL!!!. Hope, it works! Included picture of peppers growing next to tomatoes, and as you can see, they are fine, with no spots. Just a quick question: do these peppers look ripe to you? If not, do I wait til they turn yellow/red? Have never seen "live" pepper in my life- just wrapped in celophane in supermarket. Sorry, do not have name of them- but they were planted same day as tomatoes, and even bought from the same lady in the market. Thank you again.

Hope, it will work this time!

P.s., Do not pour water on leaves, just ground. Can't be rain, as other plants are ok. Thanks. 

• 29/08/2008 08:20 AM
    • kandeakay
    • west sussex
    • 03 Aug 2007
    Top 100 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hi Sunshine - the photos seem to show that your tomatoes are suffering from powdery mildew.  This is often caused by plants being dry at the roots and damp on the foliage.  With the amount of rain we have had this year I would think that despite careful watering the leaves will have suffered excess dampness - check that you are watering adequately onto the soil.  However it probably won't kill the plants - despite being unsightly.  It is a very common problem - I haven't seen it on my toms but usually get it on cucumbers.  They always eat well!