Skip navigation.

Human Hair as an animal repellent

Last post 01-11-2011 2:35 PM by zingin. 12 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

• 16/01/2005 06:11 PM
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Is there any truth in the theory that hanging human hair around the garden will deter animals like deer?

• 17/01/2005 10:07 PM
    • P Stick
    • North Wales
    • 24 Nov 2004
    Top 150 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Why? - Do you think they may have a phobia of catching alopecia?...........;-)

P Stick
  • 18/01/2005 07:50 AM
    • Obelix
    • Belgium
    • 24 Nov 2004
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hi P Stick. I'd been wondering where you were. Happy New Year. I don't know about human hair but suspect a large dog wandering around the garden might do the trick, or maybe a small but vociferous one.

Obelix - Belgium
  • 18/01/2005 11:59 AM
    • P Stick
    • North Wales
    • 24 Nov 2004
    Top 150 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hi Obelix - many thanks for the greeting and a happy New Year to you and yours. I have been about on the boards but will have even less time now as we have just acquired an 8 week old German Shepherd xxxxx puppy so am busy housetraining it. Then comes the garden training with an emphasis on cat deterrence.......;-)

P Stick
  • 18/01/2005 01:03 PM
    • William
    • 24 Nov 2004
    Top 75 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hi P Stick, nice to see you're still OK. So the dog is going to take you for 'walkies'... Does the purchase of a dog mean that there is not enough human hair to deter unwanted visitors in your garden.... ;-)

Happy Gardening, William
    (Netherlands)
  • 18/01/2005 01:43 PM
    Top 200 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hi P Stick - nice to see you around. They are asking about you on the Nature Boards - or should I stay they are asking about Cassie - no-one is that interested in you!! Ha ha Apologies Anthemis - very naughty of us to take over your thread without answering the question properly. I have a friend who had trouble with deer eating her plants and I'll ask her if she ever found a deer repellent. Cheers Rhoda

• 18/01/2005 01:49 PM
    • William
    • 24 Nov 2004
    Top 75 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

If You google for deer repellant / repellent various potions are on offer. But I must say I haven't got a clue if they are any good.

Happy Gardening, William
    (Netherlands)
  • 25/01/2005 04:36 PM
    • Daisy
    • 25 Jan 2005
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

I have noticed that birds like to use human hair for their nests. I have also had wool pulled from my coat by an enthusiastic Robin in spring who must have thought it was my fur. Human smell not too repellent to birds then.

Daisy
  • 07/03/2010 09:42 AM
    • Jen
    • 03 Mar 2010
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

Geeked Big Smile Laughing to myself ... The birds used to use my hair for there nests , i ended up pulling out of my hair brush leaving it on the window ledge they would come and fly off with it !

As for the original post , sorry im not sure that it would get rid of any other animal however it may be the scent not the actual hair that would put them off?

Tink.

• 07/03/2010 09:53 AM
    • Digger
    • Northern UK
    • 18 Jul 2005
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I saw a bird taking the fluff from an artificial basket liner, I assume it needed it for a bird nest, I think it was called a stirling

digger Devil Sage of the fells
  • 23/03/2010 09:26 PM
    • egbert
    • 23 Mar 2010
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

My MIL had the same theory - she hung her hair in old tights around the chicken pen. For over a year we didnt have any fox issues - although previously we had lost all of the chicks to foxes (I cant remember if that was pre hair hanging). Personally I think the fox was just put off by the sight of various wrinkly, multi coloured tights swinging about in the wind. Of course, then we got some rescued hens who took their new freedom too seriously, planned their escape and led our original chicks out of the pen within one day of their arrival - and the fox had them that night. So, maybe some truth in keeping out predators. Of course, you could also just get all the menfolk you know to pee around the borders as often as possible.

• 15/08/2010 09:50 AM
    Top 500 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hey hey Big Smile I can't stop laughing myself, but that's not true with the human hair.

• 01/11/2011 02:35 PM
    • zingin
    • 31 Oct 2011
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

Indeed, it is not true. But a nice Story