Skip navigation.

Molehills

Last post 09-12-2008 8:30 PM by Digger. 27 replies.

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >

• 29/12/2004 11:37 AM
    Top 500 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I had heard that sticking the top part of empty plastic bottles in mole hills deters moles - apparently the sound from the wind frightens them. Anyone know if this is true

• 30/12/2004 08:18 PM
    • Bluebell
    • 23 Nov 2004
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

It doesn't work! Moles are not deterred at all by vibrations or the sound of wind. We have tried all sorts of methods to rid them from our paddock and the only effective way is to find their runs and trap them. Then you can humanely kill. You might think that you have lots of moles, but in fact it could well only be one or two as they are very territorial. Don't worry about leaving human scent on the traps when you lay them as everyone I know disputes that this affects the effectiveness of them. Incidentally, the soil which the mole fetches to the surface is the best potting compost you can get!

Doreen R. Crapper
  • 18/01/2005 08:25 PM
    Top 150 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

A friend of mine from work had a novel solution to the moles that plagued her - she slabbed the whole garden over, built decking and bought loads of shrubs in containers. It works for her!

• 19/01/2005 10:30 AM
    • William
    • 24 Nov 2004
    Top 75 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Now she'll probably get to deal with ants that keep burrowing under the slabs .. ;-)

Happy Gardening, William
    (Netherlands)
  • 02/03/2005 05:10 PM
    • Lizbeth
    • 28 Feb 2005
    Top 500 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I use mothballs - they don't kill the the moles but they definitely persuade them to go elsewhere!

Liz - West Country

• 03/03/2005 08:04 AM
    • Obelix
    • Belgium
    • 24 Nov 2004
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

We have moles and have tried plants reputed to deter them, noisy bits from birthday cards to send them away, bottles, solar powered buzzy devices, humane traps.......... Very occasionally we trap one and I liberate it in nearby woods across a stream. However, the best solution is a device on sale here in Belgium and France which involves a small, battery charged explosive charge which moley activates on contact. Extreme, but satisfying. Our moles come in through surrounding fields and, before becoming visible on the "lawn", I lose precious plants as they burrow through the root systems and their sunken runs after rainfall make for uncomfortable mowing and walking if you have a bad back.

Obelix - Belgium
  • 10/03/2005 10:52 AM
    • asprin
    • 10 Mar 2005
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

For me there are no deterants for mole problems, the only reasonable treatment is to dispose of them either through a mole trap or by using a humane trap. I have tried both the deterant method which just does not work and the traping method which does. I have on many occasions woken to find that moles have been active overnight, my 900sq meter lawn resembles an RAF bombing run with dozens of small hills of fine soil. This is most common when I have mown the grass the day before with a ride on mower. This seems to disturb the runs and the moles then clear them out overnight. Using a trap will certantly be the most effective way of clearing them from the garden. Just one other issue though if your garden is close to open fields with moles in them you are not going to dispose of them for good, you will have a problem for life. Good mole hunting !!

asprin
  • 10/03/2005 11:40 AM
    • Obelix
    • Belgium
    • 24 Nov 2004
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I was chatting about this to a friend who also uses the explosive device. Apparently her neighbour uses a trap and is 100% successful. His secret is that he always sets his trap just before 6pm because experience shows him that that's when they wake up and start moving. If you poke your finger down every new mole hill you will cause draughts that they will scurry to fill, thus running straight into your trap.

Obelix - Belgium
  • 10/03/2005 09:02 PM
    • P Stick
    • North Wales
    • 24 Nov 2004
    Top 150 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I'd say you need to be very careful where you poke your finger if you have laid a few explosive devices about........

P Stick
  • 11/03/2005 09:54 AM
    • Obelix
    • Belgium
    • 24 Nov 2004
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Silly P Stick. You clear the mounds, free the holes and then poke the explosive charge just into the tunnel and connect it to the doofer with the batteries. You can tell it's gone bang because the hole fills and the switch moves to the off position.

Obelix - Belgium
  • 11/03/2005 12:33 PM
    • William
    • 24 Nov 2004
    Top 75 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hi P Stick, You really have to start worrying if the moles get the knack of rewireing the divice.... connecting it to some weeds that get pulled out on a regular base.... or your brewing kettle.... ;-)

Happy Gardening, William
    (Netherlands)
  • 11/03/2005 03:08 PM
    • Obelix
    • Belgium
    • 24 Nov 2004
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I think Mole is technically challenged. You'd need Ratty or Toad to connect the kettle or reverse the blast.

Obelix - Belgium
  • 11/03/2005 04:09 PM
    • William
    • 24 Nov 2004
    Top 75 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

You should watch a Dutch TV commercial for an internet provider, it features some moles that hijack a PC and stereoset, take it into their little home beneath the turf, rewire the cable for internet, download loads of loud music and keep the neighbourhood awake all night with their underground music disco. ;-)

Happy Gardening, William
    (Netherlands)
  • 14/03/2005 11:39 AM
    • Obelix
    • Belgium
    • 24 Nov 2004
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Our cable company is biased towards francophone stations so we get the two state Flemish chains and Holland 2 - so no ad viewing here. For some reason we get about 4 German, one each Italian, Spanish, Greek and Polish and sundry other stuff of no interest. Like you I just get Beeb 1 & 2 from the UK so I hope they keep the contract to cover RHS shows in perpetuum. Our first moles of the season have turned up in their quest for mates. I shall be out with the humane traps tonight to see if they're feeling cooperative. If not, big bang tomorrow.

Obelix - Belgium
  • 21/03/2005 06:54 PM
    • William
    • 24 Nov 2004
    Top 75 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Over here I've squashed the first aphids and pampered the first ladybird ..... which seems to have hybernated in our garden.... Lots of bulbs in flower so the garden is putting on it's spring clothes...

Happy Gardening, William
    (Netherlands)