Skip navigation.

growing ginger

Last post 05-11-2010 9:41 AM by Dark Age. 12 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

• 23/04/2007 04:12 PM
    • LOUBLOU
    • 08 Jan 2007
    Top 500 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hi Has any one grown ginger - thought i might have a go. Any ideas Lou

• 04/05/2007 08:33 AM
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Easy, peasy - get some plump, fresh ginger rhizomes from the shop - Asian corner shops subject their stock to a lower level of technology than other outlets so roots from these are best. Plant shallowly in multipurpose compost. Keep in warm, sunny place - conservatory ideal, sunny windowsill at a pinch. Wait for it to grow - enjoy! Has to be indoors in winter, but can put up with sunny sheltered patio in summer. Boggy

Beware the bat-eared bogweevil
  • 13/10/2008 01:39 PM
    • Clematis
    • Biggar, South Lanarkshire, Scotland.
    • 30 Jun 2008
    Top 50 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hi bogweevil - I read somewhere that you should suspend the root in water till it has shoots showing (like you do with spider plants etc.)  I've just bought some root ginger and would like to try growing it - so is it best just to pot it up in compost and not bother with the water method?

Clematis
  • 13/10/2008 01:57 PM
    • stanhol
    • Netherlands
    • 13 May 2007
    Top 500 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hi Clematis,

I have grown ginger from a piece bought in chinese shop this year. I just potted them up in compost, damp, not wet. Very close to surface have had 2 come up out of 3 so not bad! Both doing really well. I put them in my unheated GH but I will bring them into sunny window soon.

Good luck

Sandra 

• 13/10/2008 02:07 PM
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Roots that form in water don't survive in potting media and die off to be replaced so you might as well cut out the middle bit and plant in potting media.

Boggy

• 13/10/2008 05:16 PM
    • Phot's-Moll
    • The sunny South coast.
    • 06 Jan 2007
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Can you get a worthwhile crop them, or are they just grown as ornamental plants? (not that there's anything wrong with growing plants you don't intend to eat)

http://patsysplot.blogspot.co.uk/
  • 13/10/2008 05:24 PM
    • Susiq
    • Northumberland
    • 16 Feb 2008
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I was wondering that too - if I thought I could grow my own 'edible' ginger I'd be like the "cat thats got the cream"!

• 13/10/2008 08:42 PM
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

If you have a really good, heated greenhouse then I expect they will make a good root in time but usually you just have to be satisfied with their ornamental qualities. The one at Kew in the palm house clearly have a large root! Boggy

• 15/10/2008 05:16 PM
    • miranda
    • Oxfordshire
    • 17 Nov 2004
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I stored ginger in pots (outside in a sheltered place) this summer and was quite impressed with how much root grew. It wasn't anywhere near enough that you could sell it, but it was enough to add to a curry. Even if the ginger doesn't grow that much, storing it in a mix of damp sand and compost keeps it really fresh and juicy and it tastes a lot better than the stuff you keep in the fridge.

• 15/10/2008 05:28 PM
    • Phot's-Moll
    • The sunny South coast.
    • 06 Jan 2007
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

I need more windowsills!

http://patsysplot.blogspot.co.uk/
  • 07/06/2009 09:08 PM
    • Fiona
    • Chertsey
    • 07 Jun 2009
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

Miranda, do you still have ginger?

I had some in the kitchen that started sprouting, so I put it in a small pot on my S facing windowsill & it grew. I repotted it into a plastic windowbox & it now has 5 healthy stem/leaves bits and the root is getting bigger so I too may have enough for a few curries! I take it outside on hot daysand keep it moist, but not wet.

I have no idea how to harvest it, but will probably just cut it in half and keep one half to continue growing for next year & hope it works.

• 07/06/2009 09:49 PM
    • miranda
    • Oxfordshire
    • 17 Nov 2004
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hello Fiona, well done on keeping your ginger going. I'm sure you'll love the freshness when you come to try it, it's so much nicer than the shop bought stuff. With mine, I just take it out of the pot, remove what I need and then replant it and it seems fine.

I didn't keep my ginger over last winter, but started another lot off about six weeks ago. It isn't showing yet but I expect it will be through soon enough. Looking forward to seeing it.

• 05/11/2010 09:41 AM
    • Dark Age
    • Cambridgeshire
    • 05 Nov 2010
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

Try this site http://www.tropicalpermaculture.com/growing-ginger.html