Skip navigation.

3x3 Raised Vegetable plot - but no soil!

Last post 24-03-2007 6:15 PM by oldwinegum. 4 replies.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

• 06/03/2007 06:56 AM
    • WoodyS
    • 06 Mar 2007
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

Hi all, I've just made a 3x3 raised bed so my son and I can have a go at growing veg for the first time. We're planning on following the Harlow Carr planting plan to get us on our way, but haven't got enough soil to fill the bed. Can anyone suggest a good mix of what 'soil' I should be getting to fill it? Whatever I use, I know that I'm going to have to buy it in (my compost bin is looking good, but it's only half full!) Thank you! [Edited on 06/03/2007]

• 06/03/2007 09:53 AM
    • DunDiggin
    • Bracknell, Berkshire
    • 25 Feb 2007
    Top 150 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

Hi Woody I take it thats a 3m x3m bed. Your best bet is to buy topsoil by the tonne from a reputable nursery or garden center. A good topsoil should have sufficient nutrients and humus(organic matter) to get you through to the autumn without too much trouble, although it may benefit from an application of Fish, Blood, and Bone a couple of weeks before planting your crops. As an aid in your calculations a 1 tonne bag is 0.8 cubic metres so will cover an area 3m x 1.3m x 0.2m (10ft x 4ft x 8"). I'm assuming your bed is at least 8" (0.2m) deep. If this is too expensive an option for you then try your local freecycle and see if anybody is having any building work done locally that is willing to donate you some topsoil. In this instance you'll need to add some well rotted manure or good compost. Your only option for this may be a nursery or garden center. If you find a manure source it must have been standing for at least 2 years otherwise it will be too "rich" for your crops. All the best [URL=http://vortexs-veg-patch.blogspot.com]Vortex[/URL]

DunDiggin

Blog: http://vortexs-veg-patch.blogspot.com
  • 06/03/2007 04:08 PM
    • WoodyS
    • 06 Mar 2007
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

Thanks Vortex, I'll start looking around for best prices. Best wishes, WoodyS

• 07/03/2007 01:27 PM
    Top 10 Contributor
    Reply | Contact

It is usual to scoop up soil from paths, lowering these, and use the soil to raise the bed - no cost, no risk of buying a pup and no risk of importing diseases or weeds. Boggy

Beware the bat-eared bogweevil
  • 24/03/2007 06:15 PM
    Not Ranked
    Reply | Contact

This might be obvious be just in case. You do not have to fill raised beds. The idea is that each year you add compost and the little beasties take it down for you. Also I have found that the walls act as a great wind break and a fixing point for fleece and netting. I have 11 beds and non of them are full yet and they work wonderfully. ttfn