Since we held our Family Fun Day in the summer, where we demonstrated some of the more interesting ways you can use vegetables in cooking, we have had a number of requests for the recipe of the scrumptious Chocolate and Beetroot cake. So, here it is... Enjoy!
Chocolate and Beetroot Cake
50g Bitter Cocoa Powder
180g Plain Flour
1½tsp Baking Powder
Pinch of Salt
250g Caster Sugar
300g Fresh Cooked Beetroot
200ml Corn Oil
1tsp Vanilla Extract
Oven 180c / Gas Mark 4
7 inch round tin Buttered & Floured
1. Sift all Cocoa, Flour, Baking Powder, Salt in to a bowl.
2. Puree the beetroot. Add the eggs one at a time then add the corn oil and vanilla and beat until smooth.
3. Make a well in the dry ingredients and poor the beetroot mixture in to the well and lightly mix.
4. Pour in to the prepared cake tins.
5. Bake for about 40 minutes.
6. Cool on a wire rack and dust with icing sugar.