Philippa Pearson

Behind the scenes diary for The Victorian Aviary Garden at Chelsea Flower Show and The Girlguiding UK Centenary Garden at Hampton Court Palace Flower Show 2010

Cold weather is a bonus for Chelsea plants

Posted by Philippa Pearson on 13 May 2010 at 09:49 AM

'The coldest May night for 15 years' set my heart, and no doubt many other designers' hearts, racing. No matter what anyone says, not having the plants you have spent months selecting for a show garden to be ready and at the peak of perfection is a real downer. The cool weather (actually, I remember winter and spring were always like this when I was growing up) have led to the joy of sleepness nights and palpitations at the most unexpected moments (had one this morning when I realised I hadn't covered up my potatoes on the veg plot at home...). I visited Rosy at Hardy's Cottage Garden plants In Hampshire on Tuesday afternoon: brilliant doesn't even come close to describing their care and love of my charges. Everything is looking perfect and the cooler weather seems to have benefited my plant choices, keeping them back in a state of suspended animation. Next week the temperatures rise just in time for planting up to get all those fat, juicy buds to open. I can't believe I've only had to substitute one plant line Big Smile

Comments

Twitter Trackbacks for Cold weather is a bonus for Chelsea plants - Philippa Pearson [rhs.org.uk] on Topsy.com said:

Pingback from  Twitter Trackbacks for                 Cold weather is a bonus for Chelsea plants - Philippa Pearson         [rhs.org.uk]        on Topsy.com

on 13 May 2010 at 11:45 AM

A City Herbal: A Guide To The Lore, Legend, And Usefulness Of 34 Plants That Grow Wild In The City said:

Pingback from  A City Herbal: A Guide To The Lore, Legend, And Usefulness Of 34 Plants That Grow Wild In The City

on 13 May 2010 at 01:10 PM

How do you get seeds from plants that don’t produce seeds? said:

Pingback from  How do you get seeds from plants that don’t produce seeds?

on 13 May 2010 at 01:15 PM

Latest Herbs Plants Auctions said:

Pingback from  Latest Herbs Plants Auctions

on 13 May 2010 at 02:42 PM

Latest Plants Gardening Auctions said:

Pingback from  Latest Plants Gardening Auctions

on 13 May 2010 at 03:43 PM

Container Gardens-Three Minute Gardener said:

Pingback from  Container Gardens-Three Minute Gardener

on 13 May 2010 at 03:44 PM

Has Anyone Used the Chia Herb Garden, how do I take care of the Cilantro? said:

Pingback from  Has Anyone Used the Chia Herb Garden, how do I take care of the Cilantro?

on 13 May 2010 at 03:45 PM

Wiccan herbal garden…? said:

Pingback from  Wiccan herbal garden…?

on 13 May 2010 at 04:51 PM

what is the corrrect way to water and grow herb plants? said:

Pingback from  what is the corrrect way to water and grow herb plants?

on 13 May 2010 at 07:45 PM

What plants can I plant in pots in my garden that will last all year round? said:

Pingback from  What plants can I plant in pots in my garden that will last all year round?

on 13 May 2010 at 07:52 PM

canvas awnings, best thing to clean with is…? | said:

Pingback from  canvas awnings, best thing to clean with is…? |

on 13 May 2010 at 10:14 PM

Chelsea Flower Show 2010: Andy Sturgeon’s 9 favourite plants :: Taplins Gardens said:

Pingback from  Chelsea Flower Show 2010: Andy Sturgeon’s 9 favourite plants  :: Taplins Gardens

on 13 May 2010 at 11:37 PM

Removal of Mold on Coquina House? | said:

Pingback from  Removal of Mold on Coquina House? |

on 14 May 2010 at 12:49 AM

Basil & Loofas said:

Pingback from  Basil & Loofas

on 14 May 2010 at 02:50 AM

Can you use grow lights 120 watt in standard maximum 60 watt outlet? said:

Pingback from  Can you use grow lights 120 watt in standard maximum 60 watt outlet?

on 14 May 2010 at 06:01 AM

what seeds can i direct sow now so they bloom july and augest? said:

Pingback from  what seeds can i direct sow now so they bloom july and augest?

on 14 May 2010 at 08:44 AM

What would be some good games for my 2 Jack Russells (dogs) to play? said:

Pingback from  What would be some good games for my 2 Jack Russells (dogs) to play?

on 14 May 2010 at 12:47 PM

Can I use my cool mist humidifier & heater at the same time? | Mini Humidifiers said:

Pingback from  Can I use my cool mist humidifier & heater at the same time? | Mini Humidifiers

on 14 May 2010 at 09:19 PM

Should I wait for flower gardening or can I start now? | garden plants said:

Pingback from  Should I wait for flower gardening or can I start now? | garden plants

on 15 May 2010 at 05:25 AM

Should I wait for flower gardening or can I start now? | garden plants said:

on 15 May 2010 at 05:25 AM

Should I wait for flower gardening or not? | garden plants said:

Pingback from  Should I wait for flower gardening or not? | garden plants

on 15 May 2010 at 10:45 AM

Should I wait for flower gardening or not? | garden plants said:

Pingback from  Should I wait for flower gardening or not? | garden plants

on 15 May 2010 at 10:45 AM

Recon 4 Sleeping Bag Cold Test Wilderness Gear Review said:

Pingback from  Recon 4 Sleeping Bag Cold Test Wilderness Gear Review

on 15 May 2010 at 10:42 PM

Cottage Garden Plants, 1580-1660: Culinary and Aromatic Plants v. 2 | garden plants said:

Pingback from  Cottage Garden Plants, 1580-1660: Culinary and Aromatic Plants v. 2 | garden plants

on 26 May 2010 at 01:27 AM