Skip navigation.

Graham Rice's New Plants Blog

Graham Rice Garden writer and plantsman Northamptonshire and Pennsylvania

Editor-in-Chief of the RHS Encyclopedia of Perennials; writer for a wide range of newspapers and magazines including The Garden and The Plantsman; member of the RHS Herbaceous Plant Committee and Floral Trials Committee; author of many books on plants and gardens.

  • Date Joined: 18 Oct 2006

Two clematis from Raymond Evison – new in the 2010/2011 PlantFinder

Posted by Graham Rice on 20 Apr 2010 at 07:49 AM

Every year the world’s leading clematis breeder Raymond Evison releases more new varieties and two of them are amongst the new entries in the 2010 PlantFinder which are listed by the most nurseries – seven nurseries are listing both Clematis Shimmer ('Evipo028') and Clematis Reflections (‘Evipo035’).

Clematis,Reflections,‘Evipo035’,Raymond Evison. Image ©Raymond Evison Clematis

Clematis Reflections (‘Evipo035’) (left, click to enlarge) is a semi-double, with about twelve to fourteen petals in each flower. Each petal is lilac-blue becoming paler as the flowers mature and with slightly darker streaks along the centre of each petal. The anthers are purplish red. The first flowers, in June, are the largest at about 15cm/6in while the flowers that follow in July, August and September are a little smaller.

Clematis Shimmer ('Evipo028') is a distinctive variety which features slightly rippled petals which open deep lilac blue, each petal with a pale central streak. As the flowers mature, they slowly fade to pale blue giving the impression of two or three different blue clematis all growing together. The first flowers open in June and they continue coming until September. The anthers also fade as they age, from red to deep mauve.

Both these new clematis are amongst the easiest to prune. Nothing complicated is required, like the old favourite ‘Jackmanii’ they’re best cut back hard each spring. This makes them ideal to growth through mature shrubs like forsythia which are relatively dull in summer.

At this point I must mention a very very rare occurrence – a mistake in the printed version of the 2010 RHS PlantFinder. Unfortunately two different clematis from Raymond Evison have become confused and listed as one - Clematis Reflections = 'Evipo046'. What it should read is Clematis Reflections = ‘Evipo035’. The online version of the PlantFinder has been corrected.

You can order Clematis Shimmer ('Evipo028') from these RHS PlantFinder nurseries.

You can order Clematis Reflections (‘Evipo035’) from these RHS PlantFinder nurseries.

These clematis will be available in garden centres from next month.

Comments

Twitter Trackbacks for Two clematis from Raymond Evison ??? new in the 2010/2011 PlantFinder - Graham Rice's New Plants Blog [rhs.org.uk] on Topsy.com said:

Pingback from  Twitter Trackbacks for                 Two clematis from Raymond Evison ??? new in the 2010/2011 PlantFinder - Graham Rice's New Plants Blog         [rhs.org.uk]        on Topsy.com

on 20 Apr 2010 at 08:05 AM

NBA Playoffs 2010: Denver Nuggets vs. Utah Jazz Live Stream … | Utah Jazz NBA Announcer said:

Pingback from  NBA Playoffs 2010: Denver Nuggets vs. Utah Jazz Live Stream … | Utah Jazz NBA Announcer

on 20 Apr 2010 at 11:36 AM

St. Louis Rams Blog: Do The St. Louis Rams Want To Win | St. Louis Rams NFL Announcer said:

Pingback from  St. Louis Rams Blog: Do The St. Louis Rams Want To Win | St. Louis Rams NFL Announcer

on 20 Apr 2010 at 12:31 PM

St. Louis Rams Blog: Do The St. Louis Rams Want To Win | St. Louis Rams NFL Announcer said:

Pingback from  St. Louis Rams Blog: Do The St. Louis Rams Want To Win | St. Louis Rams NFL Announcer

on 20 Apr 2010 at 12:31 PM

MLB TV Schedule ??? 2010 Minnesota Twins TV Schedule – Will Jones's blog | Minnesota Twins MLB Announcer said:

Pingback from  MLB TV Schedule ??? 2010 Minnesota Twins TV Schedule – Will Jones's blog | Minnesota Twins MLB Announcer

on 20 Apr 2010 at 01:56 PM

MLB TV Schedule ??? 2010 Minnesota Twins TV Schedule – Will Jones's blog | Minnesota Twins MLB Announcer said:

Pingback from  MLB TV Schedule ??? 2010 Minnesota Twins TV Schedule – Will Jones's blog | Minnesota Twins MLB Announcer

on 20 Apr 2010 at 01:56 PM

final test pingback from « End Year 2012 said:

Pingback from  final test pingback from «  End Year 2012

on 06 May 2010 at 06:56 AM

saint louis « auto glass repair said:

Pingback from  saint louis «  auto glass repair

on 06 May 2010 at 09:24 PM