Getting started

Geoff Hodge Web Editor Peterborough

I've been a horticultural journalist for 20 years, a gardener for longer than I want to think about and a veg grower for 25 years.

• Date Joined: 21 Nov 2006

It's all my fault!

Posted by Geoff Hodge on 01 May 2008 at 11:14 AM

I'm really sorry about all the rain we've had over the last couple of days - I think it's my fault.

You see, I planted out some broad beans and some other bits and bobs on the allotment on Monday, but forgot to take the watering can. I went back on Tuesday and gave everything a thorough watering to settle them into their new home. Within about 45 minutes of finishing, the heavens opened and it hasn't really stopped since. So I apologise.

My Oregon Scientific Weather Station at home has been busy too recording all this wet stuff. During Tuesday evening/night it recorded 9.7mm of rain. A good downpour, which I suppose we all need - especially the slugs! Luckily, after watering at the allotment I did treat everything to a good scattering of slug pellets.

Comments

No need to apologise for the rain Geoff, we've had quite a bit this week but it had been dry for so long, we really needed it.

on 01 May 2008 at 02:48 PM

max said:

don't apoligies about the rain, but perhpas you should about the "good scattering of slug pellets". I pity the poor birds and hedgehogs in your allotment.

on 01 May 2008 at 05:40 PM

Graham Rice said:

Geoff, have you tried the new organic slug killer based on Ferrous phosphate - sold as Advanced Slug Killer? Does it work?

on 01 May 2008 at 10:40 PM

Geoff Hodge said:

Graham: no I haven't tried it, but had reports that it becomes ineffective quite quickly and needs regular re-application.

Max: Thanks for your comments. I am a firm believer (having seen plenty of research) that slug pellets do no harm to birds and hedgehogs (providing they are used correctly). I also use them at home where I have a garden (that is typical for a semi-detached in a suburban area) full of frogs and toads, two families of hedgehogs and, in the last two years, regular visits from thrushes. I also have a cat. All seem to live quite happily with the slug pellets.

on 02 May 2008 at 10:16 AM

Guy Barter said:

I have used these pellets extensively and think they work well, but it is hard to be be sure as the slugs do not conspicuously slime to death as ones poisoned by metaldehyde do.

However, I have researched the scientific literature and there is good evidence for the effectiveness of Iron phosphate: www.slugcontrol.rothamsted.ac.uk/SlugsBrochure.pdf

I use them for general pre-emptive control and then spot treat any hotspots of slug damage with metaldehyde pellets.

Although there is no firm evidence for the harmful effects of metaldehyde pellets, Iron phospahe is even less likely to be damagaing: www.epa.gov/.../factsheet_034903.htm

on 02 May 2008 at 05:49 PM

Phot's-Moll said:

The organic pellets from Growing Success work for me. They don't have to be replaced if they get wet.

on 02 May 2008 at 10:05 PM